1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 08:592 edits
    Look at the User 141849's graph. His name is irrelevant, he hasn't done anything wrong. This is only one example that I've found here and there.

Look at he right part of the graph. Some fluctuations of more than 150 rating points up and down. This shouldn't be possible in our current rating system. But there it is.

Can we trust the rating system, when we see this kind of example?

Even I have had mystical fluctuations but of more modest kind.

I would be glad if I got an explanation for this...
  2. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 09:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Look at the User 141849's graph. His name is irrelevant, he hasn't done anything wrong. This is only one example that I've found here and there.

Look at he right part of the graph. Some fluctuations of more than 150 rating points up and down. This shouldn't be possible in our current rating system. But there it is.

Can we trust the rating syst ...[text shortened]... fluctuations but of more modest kind.

His graph looks bugged.
    He only lost games to time outs the last part, so his rating should go down, down, down, down. In stead its going down, up, down, up, down, up....which is wierd and incorrect.
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 12:21
    Can we trust the rating system, when we see this kind of example?

Now I know why I am still stuck in the 1300/1400 bracket πŸ˜›
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 13:12

Can we trust the rating syst ...[text shortened]... fluctuations but of more modest kind.

Feedback sent? That's important.

Not sure why, but sometimes graphs get bugged and Russ or Chris are quick to fix with feedback.

P-
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 19:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Feedback sent? That's important.

Not sure why, but sometimes graphs get bugged and Russ or Chris are quick to fix with feedback.

P-
    I've sent Feedback. A asked them to comment in this thread.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 03:57
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Now I know why I am still stuck in the 1300/1400 bracket πŸ˜›
    Yet by some miracle you beat two 1900+ Players and one 2300 + player.

How do you spell SANDBAGGER? πŸ˜›
  7. Joined
    29 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 14:35
    Another example :- user 435074

He jumped to the ratings all in a sudden and is able to keep that .... Any comments?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 14:46
    Originally posted by rvv
    Another example :- user 435074

He jumped to the ratings all in a sudden and is able to keep that .... Any comments?
    That's not an example of the same type.
    My example in the first posting is probable a bug in the rating procedure in the RHP core system. It has nothing to do with the member himself.

If you think it's something fishy with the member - try the fair Play ticket: http://www.redhotpawn.com/fairplay/createticket.php
  9. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    07 Jul '10 19:312 edits
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    How do you spell SANDBAGGER? πŸ˜›
    You spell it: V-E-R-Y R-U-S-T-Y

You're throwing accusations at other people when you're sitting nearly 200 points below you highest rating and at least 100 points below a rating you easily sustained in the early part of the year.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 23:003 edits
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    You spell it: V-E-R-Y R-U-S-T-Y

You're throwing accusations at other people when you're sitting nearly 200 points below you highest rating and at least 100 points below a rating you easily sustained in the early part of the year.
    I also play over 200 games at a time the rating does this. Of course you wouldn't know that playing 5 games at a time.

I have been over 600 games, so don't even go there about a 200 point difference. You try and you will find staying with in 200 points is not an easy thing to do.

The trouble with most of you who don't know what it is like to play more than a dozen games or so, is you think you know everything about ratings and how they work.

He Sandbags his numbers purposely, something I don't do. It is just too bad it is not against the TOS!! I don't think it would be all that hard to prove.

I ask you one more thing MR-KNOW-IT-ALL how does he manage to beat two players over 1900 and one player over 2300....I think I was very nice calling it SANDBAGGING!

We are talking about a player here who claims he can't get out of the 1300-1400 range...I say B.S

Look at yourself you've had close to 300 point different in the rating, I don't think you're sandbagging though. In your case I think your like me, just not that good.
  11. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 20:40

Although I have nothing to do with the development of this site, I'm a software developer and have an idea of what might be going on here.

It looks to me as if the bars are out of order. They all relate to games that finished on the same day. I'm guessing they may even have ended at the exact same time, if they were automatically timed out by the system (at least one was a tournament match). My guess is that each finished game is associated in the database with the player's rating at the end of the game (the height of the bar that is plotted in the graph.) To show the rating graph, the system retrieves the games in the order that they finished. If they all finished at the same time, the games might be retrieved in a different order to the one in which the end-of-game rating was calculated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree