Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 20 May '08 19:17
    Can anyone tell me why this tournament game became a draw when my opponent only had his King remaining and I was a few moves away from checkmate? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4889179
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    20 May '08 19:35 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by golddog2
    Can anyone tell me why this tournament game became a draw when my opponent only had his King remaining and I was a few moves away from checkmate? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=4889179
    Game 4889179

    That is called stalemate. You moved your king and blocked any chance for the other king to make any kind of move.

    If a player can't move legally, it's a draw.

    Search 'stalemate' for better understanding of this rule, and next time be sure any move you make leaves a move for the other guy, unless that move is a checkmate.

    Better may have been:

    48. Qb2 …Ke1 (Don't let the king off the back row)
    49. Bc3+ …Kd1 (Set them up)
    50. Qd2# (knock them down)



    P-
  3. 20 May '08 20:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Game 4889179

    That is called stalemate. You moved your king and blocked any chance for the other king to make any kind of move.

    If a player can't move legally, it's a draw.

    Search 'stalemate' for better understanding of this rule, and next time be sure any move you make leaves a move for the other guy, unless that move is a checkmate.

    Bet ...[text shortened]... e king off the back row)
    49. Bc3+ …Kd1 (Set them up)
    50. Qd2# (knock them down)



    P-
    Stalemate is my favourite chess rule!
    I love to watch others fall into a stale mate, and I love to make a stale mate trap myself when I am way under in material!
    It's just candy!
  4. 20 May '08 22:46
    Well I learned something new...the hard way! I always thought this situation was the same as a checkmate, so thanks for your explanations, I'll try to avoid such rookie mistakes in the future.
  5. 21 May '08 05:57
    One more question....are you still able to use the King for offensive moves, can a King move to create checkmate or is that a stalemate?
  6. Subscriber RDM
    21 May '08 06:34
    The King can't put the other King in check. Therefore, if you move the King to prevent a move by the other king - just make sure that the opponent king has somewhere else to go otherwise its a stalement.
  7. 21 May '08 08:03 / 3 edits
    The king can put the other king in check, as well as mate:


    White mates in one!
  8. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    21 May '08 10:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by golddog2
    One more question....are you still able to use the King for offensive moves, can a King move to create checkmate or is that a stalemate?
    A king cannot move to a square that is under attack by the enemy. That move would be placing itself in check, and that is not allowed.

    It is possible for a king to attack everything except the enemy king or queen so in that sense it could be used to make offensive moves.
  9. Subscriber RDM
    21 May '08 12:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The king can put the other king in check, as well as mate:

    [fen]4RK1k/4P1pp/8/8/8/8/p7/8[/fen]
    White mates in one!
    Moving the kign to f7 results in a mate but the rook is putting the opponent king in check, not the king, although the move by the king results in the check.

    Semantics I suppose
  10. 21 May '08 15:19
    Originally posted by RDM
    Semantics I suppose
    Yes, semantics.

    But the very move Kf7# is not an oxymoron, it's a possibility.
  11. 21 May '08 16:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The king can put the other king in check, as well as mate:

    [fen]4RK1k/4P1pp/8/8/8/8/p7/8[/fen]
    White mates in one!
    No problem with the fact - it's perfectly acceptable. But --- The moves to arrive here would be rather interesting! The kings ~must~ have been in these positions before the rook arrived on the rank - and when it got to ?8, white moved it to the e file in front of the pawn instead of just moving the king to f7! If this was a real endgame, I'd take a SERIOUS look at my tactics!
  12. 21 May '08 16:29
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    No problem with the fact - it's perfectly acceptable. But --- The moves to arrive here would be rather interesting! The kings ~must~ have been in these positions before the rook arrived on the rank - and when it got to ?8, white moved it to the e file in front of the pawn instead of just moving the king to f7! If this was a real endgame, I'd take a SERIOUS look at my tactics!
    Well, it's just an illustration about a king move that mates.

    But actually I took your thoughts into consideration (lightly) and therefor i put a black pawn at a2. The only thing black could do was to move the pawn in the hope of promoting it eventually. Meanwhile white got in place, took the queen at e8 with the rook to avoid the mate on white. ... or something...

    Please, don't read in something in the diagarm too much.
  13. 21 May '08 16:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, it's just an illustration about a king move that mates.

    But actually I took your thoughts into consideration (lightly) and therefor i put a black pawn at a2. The only thing black could do was to move the pawn in the hope of promoting it eventually. Meanwhile white got in place, took the queen at e8 with the rook to avoid the mate on white. ... or something...

    Please, don't read in something in the diagarm too much.
    I think I'll go with the 'or something' option. Qe8 would have been giving check, so ..... Maybe the Q took something and the R was already on 8?

    Congrats 0on the 1800 btw. I got there once, but it didn't last. Hopefully, you'll do better!
  14. 21 May '08 20:45
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    I think I'll go with the 'or something' option. Qe8 would have been giving check, so ..... Maybe the Q took something and the R was already on 8?

    Congrats 0on the 1800 btw. I got there once, but it didn't last. Hopefully, you'll do better!
    Thank you. I don't stay 1800+ for long. Perhaps later I'll do a new try, and one never knows...

    The diagram was invented in a hurry, just to prove my thing. I didn't put effort to make it be a well thought mate in one problem. So the 'or something' is a good description of it.
  15. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    21 May '08 22:03
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    No problem with the fact - it's perfectly acceptable. But --- The moves to arrive here would be rather interesting! The kings ~must~ have been in these positions before the rook arrived on the rank - and when it got to ?8, white moved it to the e file in front of the pawn instead of just moving the king to f7! If this was a real endgame, I'd take a SERIOUS look at my tactics!
    It's possible that the Rook was on e8 and an bN on f8. Then, the Kings came in.

    Or maybe the position a few moves earlier was this:


    White played 1.dxe8R to show off. Black realizes that even if he plays ...h6, he is still dead lost, yet he does not feel like resigning. So, he replies 1...a2 and 2.Kf7# ends it.