Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 23 Jul '08 21:03
    Are there different names for forks? Whether it's a two-way, three-way or more ... is it still just referred to as a fork or are there different names. I just had a four-way fork (I'm new so I was impressed) and wondered what to call it other than a fork. Thanks.
  2. Subscriber Mctaytoonline
    Highlander
    23 Jul '08 21:30
    Originally posted by dermpa
    Are there different names for forks? Whether it's a two-way, three-way or more ... is it still just referred to as a fork or are there different names. I just had a four-way fork (I'm new so I was impressed) and wondered what to call it other than a fork. Thanks.
    The answer is simply - an eating utensil
  3. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    23 Jul '08 23:32
    Royal fork is the only specific name that I've heard.

D
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    24 Jul '08 15:08
    Could you give us the game, I think a fourfold fork is quite rare.
  5. 24 Jul '08 20:56
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Could you give us the game, I think a fourfold fork is quite rare.
    Again, I'm new so I'm not sure how to post the game ... it was move 32w against madstevie and here's the game:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=5221276

If that didn't work you'll see it in my public games with me as white. Since my post I read that a royal fork involves the King and Queen, but still haven't found a specific name for the fourfold fork ... if there is one ... other than an eating utensil.
  6. Subscriber Mctaytoonline
    Highlander
    24 Jul '08 21:15
    Game 5221276

To be fair it isn't a 4 way fork, one pawn protected by a pawn, one bishop covered by rook. The rook move to e7 saves all pieces unless you felt like a trade of knight for bishop. Yes in theory your knight could take any one of the 4 pieces but you never would.
    A true fork is where a knight moves to a position where is in a position to take an opponents piece either without loss or say forking 2 rooks only 1 can escape but you still take the other as its value is greater than your knights therefore a good fork.
    As mentioned you get a fork of 2 pieces - simple fork, fork of 3 pieces - triple fork, fork with check - king plus other piece, royal fork - king & queen, triple royal fork - king, queen & another piece. That said a lot of folk only count a royal fork as king, queen, & third piece.
  7. Standard member Jamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    24 Jul '08 22:05
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Game 5221276

To be fair it isn't a 4 way fork, one pawn protected by a pawn, one bishop covered by rook. The rook move to e7 saves all pieces unless you felt like a trade of knight for bishop. Yes in theory your knight could take any one of the 4 pieces but you never would.
    A true fork is where a knight moves to a position where is in a position to ...[text shortened]... & another piece. That said a lot of folk only count a royal fork as king, queen, & third piece.
    A "family threat"
  8. 25 Jul '08 07:57
    Again, I'm new so I'm not sure how to post the game ... it was move 32w against madstevie and here's the game:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=5221276

If that didn't work you'll see it in my public games with me as white. Since my post I read that a royal fork involves the King and Queen, but still haven't found a specific name for the fourfold fork ... if there is one ... other than an eating utensil.
    Links to forum posts are listed in FAQ under Help menu.
    FAQ

You can look at the linking codes by clicking on "reply & quote" on any forum post displaying a link. In private messages clicking on "reply" shows the codes.