1. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 18:581 edit
    I notice that there were two recent votes (now closed), in which voters were asked, first, if they approved of the game moderator concept and the concept of banning (they did, overwhelmingly); and second, which three volunteers they would most like to see act as moderators.
    (David Tebb, greyeyesofsorrow, and Trackhead21).

Yet, the Game Moderators section of the Volunteers list remains empty.

Any word on when this issue will be resolved, and how?

For the Game Mods / Banning vote, see:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=2

For the Nominate Game Moderators vote, see:

See:http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=3

For the Volunteers list, including the Moderator Team lacuna, see:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:04
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    I notice that there were two recent votes (now closed), in which voters were asked, first, if they approved of the game moderator concept and the concept of banning (they did, overwhelmingly); and second, which three volunteers they would most like to see act as moderators.
    (David Tebb, greyeyesofsorrow, and Trackhead21).

Yet, the Game Moderators ...[text shortened]... st, including the Moderator Team lacuna, see:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/comhub/volunteers.php
    Those are not recent votes - they're quite old.

The game mod team was recently disbanded.

Thread 86136
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:15
    TRACKHEAD21

lmao - banned for engine use.
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:38
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Those are not recent votes - they're quite old.

The game mod team was recently disbanded.

Thread 86136
    Never mind about the "recent" -- the dates now indicate several years ago.

I have never seen any official announcement about this. I did take part in the thread referenced, and just now went back and looked at subsequent posts. There is nothing there except "I don't know what's going on" and "We'll just have to wait and see".
  5. The sky
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:50
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Never mind about the "recent" -- the dates now indicate several years ago.

I have never seen any official announcement about this. I did take part in the thread referenced, and just now went back and looked at subsequent posts. There is nothing there except "I don't know what's going on" and "We'll just have to wait and see".
    There has been at least one other thread about this, but I think it was deleted because it turned into a flame war; and it didn't give much more information. But now that the site is running normally again, I hope Russ will come back to this soon. This really needs to be addressed properly.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    23 Feb '08 20:51
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    TRACKHEAD21

lmao - banned for engine use.
    Well, at least he's an expert on engine use. 😉
  7. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 10:09
    I'm not entirely convinced that the site is running normally again - my "games waiting" count has been wrong since the outage, but today I managed to find and kill off two "ghost games" that were floating around in the ether. I've also had a clicked-on link giving me a game other than the one I was clicking on. So please leave Russ alone just a little longer .....
  8. The sky
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 22:03
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    I'm not entirely convinced that the site is running normally again - my "games waiting" count has been wrong since the outage, but today I managed to find and kill off two "ghost games" that were floating around in the ether. I've also had a clicked-on link giving me a game other than the one I was clicking on. So please leave Russ alone just a little longer .....
    Well, he has had the time to create two new fora today, which is nice, but maybe not what should have first priority on a chess site.
  9. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '08 04:25
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Well, he has had the time to create two new fora today, which is nice, but maybe not what should have first priority on a chess site.
    I agree with you. First, get the system to do what it should reliably, including finding the memory leaks which send my computer into crash mode several times in each session. Then, go on with the "bells and whistles" work.

Several things work against us here.

The forums are full of demands for more "bells and whistles" - I even saw one near the beginning of the outage thread! So the wishlist gets longer and longer.

It's human nature for developers to choose nice new jobs over the tedious boring maintenance stuff. Development businesses often can't get people willing to work on maintenance. I can't imagine that Russ and Chris are saints who are exempt from this human frailty.

And when you have 257 tasks in your to-do list, it's a temptation to do a few quick easy ones to distract the complaining queue while you get on with the thankless behind-the-scenes stuff.

Human nature again - we're all wanting and asking for our own little features, yet we never think that every new feature means an added risk of things going wrong with the existing package. If we asked for less in the way of features, we'd be entitled to expect more reliability.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree