Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 04 Aug '08 19:33
    When I log on I'm told I have, 4 or 8 or 10 games waiting etc. even though I may have zero games waiting. When I press "My Games" I then get the true count. This only started recently. How do I get rid of this problem?..Thanks
  2. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    04 Aug '08 20:16
    Originally posted by taipei5200
    When I log on I'm told I have, 4 or 8 or 10 games waiting etc. even though I may have zero games waiting. When I press "My Games" I then get the true count. This only started recently. How do I get rid of this problem?..Thanks
    Someone will probably tell you how to clear your cache, if you know how, give it a try.

P-
  3. 04 Aug '08 20:18
    My games waiting list bounces among several past and current values depending on how many times I click refresh. See also threads "refresh?" and "default to previous position" in this forum. Still a mystery. The usual advice is refresh, clear cache, etc, but there has to be something better than having to refresh every single game??
  4. 04 Aug '08 20:53
    No problems on my side, maybe it's because I'm using a far superior Mac...
  5. Subscriber Smiffy
    SPS CLAN
    06 Aug '08 09:48
    Originally posted by taipei5200
    Same has happened to me aswell.
  6. 06 Aug '08 18:41
    Still have the same problem
  7. 06 Aug '08 23:49
    I have to refresh my game waiting list AND refresh each game individually before I get the correct position. I'm going to lose a piece one of these days because of this. I also have to refresh each thread of the forums.
  8. 07 Aug '08 12:05
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    I have to refresh my game waiting list AND refresh each game individually before I get the correct position. I'm going to lose a piece one of these days because of this. I also have to refresh each thread of the forums.
    I don't think this is anything that this site is doing. I've got no trouble.

Do you access the internet through a proxy server of any sort?
    If you are using a proxy sever it could be doing the caching.

Note: Depending on your ISP you could have transparent proxy servers - there's not much that can be done about that - the ISP's put them in place so that the amount of bandwidth they consume is limited.

Have you tried making sure that your browser always requests up-to-date pages?
    I.E : tools->internet options->general tab->settings for temp. internet files. Make sure the "every visit" option is selected.
    Firefox: tools->options->advanced -> network tab. Set the cache size to zero.

A zero size cache in Firefox does not prevent cacheing altogether. To do that go to about:config type browser.cache in the filter field and set the disk.cache and memory.cache values to false. This will probably slow everything down a bit as everything now has to be fetched from the server every time.
  9. 07 Aug '08 21:22
    Following your instuctions appears to have solved my problem. Many thanks and thanks to others who answered my post.
  10. 09 Aug '08 16:10
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Have you tried making sure that your browser always requests up-to-date pages?
    I.E : tools->internet options->general tab->settings for temp. internet files. Make sure the "every visit" option is selected.
    YES, that works. Thank you....thank you. Come here you big monkey...kiss...kiss...kiss.