1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 00:26
    This is annoying. I'd be a millionaire for each time i saw a question pertaining to provisional rating / en passant. 😠

Your rating drops even if you win (sometimes) when you a provisional player, under 20 games, hence the 'p' in front of your rating. If you play players 300-400 below your rating, this will occur.

You see that your opponent's pawn has oddly taken yours, after you moved your pawn up 2 spaces beside your opponent's pawn. The rule is called en passant. So it's legal.

Now I wonder if I will see another post asking what I just dedicated a thread to answering. Probably 😞
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 03:20
    ... and 90 minutes later, a thread called checkmate revisits en passant ......
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:53
    Originally posted by Ramned
    This is annoying. I'd be a millionaire for each time i saw a question pertaining to provisional rating / en passant. 😠

Your rating drops even if you win (sometimes) when you a provisional player, under 20 games, hence the 'p' in front of your rating. If you play players 300-400 below your rating, this will occur.

You see that your opponent's pawn has o ...[text shortened]... if I will see another post asking what I just dedicated a thread to answering. Probably 😞
    nice info to know...but what i need help on is when a pawn tweaks diagonal...i made up for losing that game by winning the next one when my rating went down...can you help me with these?? 😛
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 03:27
    Thread 32478
    This thread has been there for a long time to explain these things.
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 15:14
    they should have to read ramneds thing before posting too..
  6. Earth
    Moves
    26 Jun '07 17:43
    Originally posted by Ramned

You see that your opponent's pawn has o ...[text shortened]... if I will see another post asking what I just dedicated a thread to answering. Probably 😞
    Be more patient Ramned.
    Successive generations of new players will always be coming through the ranks, just like kids at school
    They will always ask their peers, or people they think will have answers, before they dig through books, threads, or learning aids. This is human nature and my guess is, when you don't understand something, you ask, rather than learn the entire knowledge base of mankind before posing your first query.

GMs may think us stupid when we ask questions of an intermediate nature, and no doubt Akizy thinks all our questions are obvious.

I got a torrent of abuse the first time I asked a question on the forums, which I had discovered moments earlier and not yet used at that point. I am no fool, and found it pretty insulting, and for a while it put me right off the RHP community altogether. Lets not put off people genuinely wanting to know about this great game, just becaue they didnt do their research.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree