1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 00:311 edit
    Just curious...I know the basic format of an actual physical tournament, but I've never tried a CC chess tournament...how does it work? Are opponents set up in a bracket? How are games scored? I would love any knowledge anyone has...

PS - I DID read the FAQ section and didn't see anything about tournaments...
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 07:371 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Just curious...I know the basic format of an actual physical tournament, but I've never tried a CC chess tournament...how does it work? Are opponents set up in a bracket? How are games scored? I would love any knowledge anyone has...

The contestants in a tournament are divided into groups. The groupsize varies between tournaments. In a knockoiut tournament it is 2, and in a all-versus-all tournament, it is the total number of entrants.

Only the winner of the group goes on to the next round. Each next round works the same as the first round.

A win gives you 3 points, a draw 1 and a loss 0.

Nothing more to tell really. Any questions left?

Forgot one thing. Some (most?) tournaments are banded, that means that you rating has to be in a specific range for you to be able to enter. Actually not your current rating is looked at, but your highest rating of the past 30 days.

Adje
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 09:16
    Originally posted by wittywonka

I recommend the "Learn-by-trying"-method.
    Join a tournament and see what happens. Try a 4-groups one with a thinking-time that you like. (Don't enter a 12-group or bigger groups as the first one.)
    I used the "Learn-by-trying" and learnt a lot.
  4. Standard memberamif2000
    The hasty
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 08:06
    When does the next round start?
    For example, "October '06 Sprint Duel 1200-1325" round one is over, but no new round started. What triggers the next round?

Amit
  5. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    20 Dec '06 10:36
    Originally posted by amif2000
    When does the next round start?
    For example, "October '06 Sprint Duel 1200-1325" round one is over, but no new round started. What triggers the next round?

Amit
    I think it is manually started. So it could take a few days before it is done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree