1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:047 edits
    (websites?)

I've seen some. There are links in forums occasionally that take you to a site.

[url=http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/mbin-05b.htm]Maroczy Bind I(Sici.)[/url]

I've seen the above website as a clickable link...but how do I do that??
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 17:51
    Originally posted by Ramned
    (websites?)

That is on the world class Vbulletin. Here ask Russ or Chris whether that functionality is built in.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 18:30
    Originally posted by Ramned
    (websites?)

Get FireFox, get linkification. It's a link for me since I do have these things. The link trick only works for private forums.

FireFox, GreaseMonkey, RHP scripts are also a must. One you have them, you'll wonder how you got along without them.

P-
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 19:53
    Originally posted by z00t
    That is on the world class Vbulletin. Here ask Russ or Chris whether that functionality is built in.
    Vbulletin is world class? And no Russ has said in the past that he doesn't want linking to outsite sites in the public forums. You can do so in the private forums though.
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 20:50
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Vbulletin is world class? And no Russ has said in the past that he doesn't want linking to outsite sites in the public forums. You can do so in the private forums though.
    Yes although there are free alternatives people pay for VBulletin. Where do you think the javascript/DST example I gave came from? This forum?

Vbulletin has features that make this forum a toy - go and find out what those features are.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 21:34
    Yes although there are free alternatives people pay for VBulletin. Where do you think the javascript/DST example I gave came from? This forum?

Vbulletin has features that make this forum a toy - go and find out what those features are.
    I think it's a great idea to pay for a badly supported, horribly coded abortion in software form.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:34

True, Vbulletin is one of the best. If not the best.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 22:45
    Xanthos is the type who runs the free phpbb/phpnuke and have been hacked more times than a leopard has spots. Vbulletin is pure class and you would have to pay a developer megabucks to write something similar.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 07:122 edits
    Xanthos is the type who runs the free phpbb/phpnuke and have been hacked more times than a leopard has spots. Vbulletin is pure class and you would have to pay a developer megabucks to write something similar.
    Another forum I post on had such horrific problems with VBulletin they had to hire a coder who basically took an old version of it and stripped out all the crap code (redundancy of code, stupid ways of storing lists, inefficient code that's called too often etc.) and has rebuilt the forums from the ground up (and is currently working on a completely new forum to replace it with). There used to have to be limits such as 1000 posts per thread only (because the way VBulletin displayed higher page numbers required loading the postids of the entire thread up to that point), archiving all threads older than 30 days to a seperate read only server (too many active threads causes slowdown) and a limit on ignored users (the list is stored in plain text and parsed every time you view a page, if your list is 1000 people long say, it'll be enough to crash even the beefiest node, this happened). Oh, and searching has to be strictly limited because that causes excess load too.

But hey, it must be good right?

EDIT: And no, I don't run any forum software at all, I just know a thing or two about how NOT to code one.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 08:34
    I find Vbulletin forums more easy on the eye than all the others I've seen.
    Most of them have decent search facilities built in too.

In my opinion the worst ones are the Invision forums which bear an uncanny resemblance to these.

And don't bother telling me to eff off for having a different opinion to yours...it's boring.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 20:51
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I find Vbulletin forums more easy on the eye than all the others I've seen.
    Most of them have decent search facilities built in too.

In my opinion the worst ones are the Invision forums which bear an uncanny resemblance to these.

And don't bother telling me to eff off for having a different opinion to yours...it's boring.
    The easy on the eye doesn't come from the backend software but from the interface which can be customized in pretty much any way on any forum base. The fact that VBulletin boards seem prettier to you is likely selective memory or viewer bias.

And I didn't tell you to crap off. I told you that you're wrong. There's a difference.
  12. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 21:31
    XanthosNZ quit whining. Where on the VB community site did your friends post the problems they were having? That seems made up.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 04:45
    XanthosNZ quit whining. Where on the VB community site did your friends post the problems they were having? That seems made up.
    My friends? The forum I'm talking about has nearly 100,000 registered users with 6000 online currently. This isn't some high school webforum. It's something awful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree