1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 11:26
    i like do delate my fathers account. he died.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by vello
    If he was the only one knowing his password, then you cannot do much about it.
    Let him rest in peace. And the account.

Russ, this is a very common question, please put it into the FAQ...
  3. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 14:50
    Originally posted by vello
    You cannot delete an account, the games must remain as they are part of other players records as well, and also the site's 'Games Explorer' scores and statistics. If no one else knows your late father's password, then his account will just stay unused.
  4. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 19:10
    They have to be able to find a way to delete user ID's & clan ID's without losing the game & challenge info
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 20:52
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    They have to be able to find a way to delete user ID's & clan ID's without losing the game & challenge info
    No... If I played a person with a name I don't want and will not recognize the replaced name with a number or however you expect to removed these names.

They stay.
  6. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:46
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No... If I played a person with a name I don't want and will not recognize the replaced name with a number or however you expect to removed these names.

They stay.
    I take your point but if the number reffered to that user ID in some way then maybe get over that herdle eg it becomes xxxPhalabibit therefore freeing up the future use of the name Phalabibit
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 02:40
    Admin should be able to access an account if requested, and delete the password completely while leaving the username intact. Isn't that how it is done now when someone gets a site ban? They also clear the person's profile comments and put in one that says the person has been banned from the site.

They could do it the same way and just make a profile comment that the account has been closed by request. The username and all game data and histories would be still available on the server, just as they are for a person who has been banned from the site.

In either case the account is closed and the reason is shown in the former member's profile.
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 18:57
    The question is why there is so urgent desire to delete the account. A hibernating account should do the same trick anyway
  9. Joined
    09 Nov '09
    Moves
    23 Jan '10 22:19
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    The question is why there is so urgent desire to delete the account. A hibernating account should do the same trick anyway
    There are good grounds for having account deletion:
    (1) It frees the ID name - especially if it is a favoured handle like blackknight for eg - for another to use.
    (2) We have made friends here and deletion of the account sends the unmistakable message that we're really gone, and not boycotting, hiding from, snubbing or ignoring them if they send messages.
    (3) Non-deletion encourages abuse. Someone may be able to hack the abandoned account and use it as a second account to cheat, manipulate ratings etc.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '10 02:09
    Originally posted by kkenji
    There are good grounds for having account deletion:
    (1) It frees the ID name - especially if it is a favoured handle like blackknight for eg - for another to use.
    (2) We have made friends here and deletion of the account sends the unmistakable message that we're really gone, and not boycotting, hiding from, snubbing or ignoring them if they send messages. ...[text shortened]... to hack the abandoned account and use it as a second account to cheat, manipulate ratings etc.
    and if you've played someone who gets their account deleted does the game also go?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '10 07:301 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    and if you've played someone who gets their account deleted does the game also go?
    I think it's a good idea to free the name for others to use.

After a year of inactivity: (1) Rename the abandonned member to his id-number, (2) make a note in his profile, like "former 'King-of-Chess'", and (3) lock him out from re-entry. Now any other *new* member can use 'King-of-Chess' as his name.

This opens the possibility for current members to change their name toa new one. Either by (a) abandon his own account, and open a new one with the desired name. This is a violation to TOS 3(a) so this cannot be done today. But by (b) make it possible to change the user name with a request it would eliminate (?) all abuse according to (a). If a member has changed his name, it should be a remark in his profile, like "Former 'Rotten Egg'".

So therefore an account should never be deleted, nor his games.
  12. Joined
    09 Nov '09
    Moves
    24 Jan '10 16:19
    Originally posted by trev33
    At some other sites, which shall remain nameless as it's not my intention to spam, accounts are closed either upon accountholder request or because accountholder has been booted for cheating or other infringement of the rules. The games records are not affected.
  13. Joined
    05 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 14:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Feb '10 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I think it's a good idea to free the name for others to use.

After a year of inactivity: (1) Rename the abandonned member to his id-number, (2) make a note in his profile, like "former 'King-of-Chess'", and (3) lock him out from re-entry. Now any other *new* member can use 'King-of-Chess' as his name.

This opens the possibility for current members t mer 'Rotten Egg'".

So therefore an account should never be deleted, nor his games.
    No and NO again.

I don't know who YOU played chess with or participated with in the forums, but having a new user come here as XanthosNZ is just crazy.

Same goes for countless other names.

Names should stay dead if they die.

Could a band come around now and name themselves The Beatles just because The Beatles are no longer active?
  15. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    06 Feb '10 08:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Could a band come around now and name themselves The Beatles just because The Beatles are no longer active?
    I agree with you although the above is a weak argument.

The Music company 'owning' the beatles are still active, thats why you cant 'steal' thier name without getting some lawsuit on your behind.
    Relatifs and friends of past away people usually dont care that much about the nicknames. Besides that a bandname is something different then a username.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree