Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 07 Feb '06 01:29
    I've heard rumors about cheating on this site. I did a search but didn't find anything about it. If I understand it correctly, one of the ways to cheat is to use a chess program to coach you in your moves. How is that spotted? I mean, how is it possible to spot someone using a chess program rather than that marvelous device between their ears?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bob
  2. Standard member KJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    07 Feb '06 04:03
    rather easily for those who know, If one is suspected of cheating the games are then checked against the many different chess engines that are out there, by the moderators, and if it is determined that there is overwhelming evidence, the player is banned from the site.
  3. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    07 Feb '06 10:04
    Originally posted by blowfish
    I've heard rumors about cheating on this site. I did a search but didn't find anything about it. If I understand it correctly, one of the ways to cheat is to use a chess program to coach you in your moves. How is that spotted? I mean, how is it possible to spot someone using a chess program rather than that marvelous device between their ears?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bob
    The mods have a checklist of factors which they use to determine whether one is cheating or not.

Factor 1: Asks how cheaters get caught in the help forum. Check!
    Factor 2: etc, etc

D
  4. Standard member Redmike
    Godless Commie
    07 Feb '06 11:55
    I think some of them actually have stripes.
  5. 07 Feb '06 12:41
    I think having a thousand games with only one loss is considered suspicious.
  6. Subscriber ViA
    09 Feb '06 09:27 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by blowfish
    I've heard rumors about cheating on this site. I did a search but didn't find anything about it. If I understand it correctly, one of the ways to cheat is to use a chess program to coach you in your moves. How is that spotted?
    Having a rating-graph looking like an Olympic downhill slope is a good indication.

(ref. Crocrew - User 162765)
  7. 09 Feb '06 09:35
    Originally posted by ViA
    Having a rating-graph looking like an Olympic downhill slope is a good indication.

You would have trouble finding a skier confident enough to go down a sloe that steep.

An 800 point increse since 19th of september is very impreseive, then take into account the rest of the time on the site he showed little improvement drifing between 1250-1450.
  8. 10 Feb '06 20:26
    One stripe, and of a light colour.
  9. Standard member MCA
    TokerSmurf
    10 Feb '06 21:05
    Originally posted by ViA

seeing that profile made me take a quick look at the "removed players" list to see if he was on it, noticed that its getting pretty long now huh
  10. Standard member reader1107
    petting the cat
    11 Feb '06 00:58
    Originally posted by MCA
    seeing that profile made me take a quick look at the "removed players" list to see if he was on it, noticed that its getting pretty long now huh
    Where is the list?
  11. 11 Feb '06 01:16
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Where is the list?
    Site Map -> Game moderation, Removed Players.

http://www.timeforchess.com/comhub/removedplayers.php
  12. Standard member reader1107
    petting the cat
    11 Feb '06 01:43
    Thanks! I was trying to find it from the menus on the top!

Lots of ski slopes...
  13. Standard member EAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    11 Feb '06 04:43
    How is it possible to detrmine if someone is using chess software to cheat?
  14. 11 Feb '06 09:02 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    How is it possible to detrmine if someone is using chess software to cheat?
    It depends. If you tend to play e4 e5, nf3 nc6, bb5, you will be subjected to a Spanish Inquisition.

If you play the Sicilian, they will shoot you first and ask questions later.
  15. 14 Feb '06 13:36
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Oh my!
    He has shown alot of 'improvement'.
    Crocrew has been terminated as of a few days ago....funny stuff!