1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 20:21
    Suppose the following situation:

Now I have more or less 1600 in rating with a number of 40 games in progress. After a car crash I am in coma for 3 month. When I wake up I found out that my rating has dropped to 800 points. Now I am eager to regain my lost points and enter into the 1600 again. How do I do this?

I can play with 1500 people and get 32 points a game. This is not nice to my opponents so this is not an option.
    I can play with 800 people, getting 16 points a game and I will snitch easy points from them. Not nice, not an option.
    I can enter a low band tournament and win round after round and eventually the whole tourney. Is this nice?
    Or I can enter a tournament with no band and decent people will lose points as I go getting points to increase my rating. Nice?, don't think so.
    Clan-games can be the answer, but I will not be popular by my opponents.

What is the most decent way to continue playing chess and regain my former level of rating, not upsetting too much of people?
  2. home
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 21:04
    It is more than likely that you have an average or above average general intellectual functioning, according to your rate. (However your posting might lead to think its more average than above average 😉)

Unless you know something that I don't (which i find hard to believe in this particular field), it is less likely that one will wake up after such a long periode of comateus condition and rapidly achieve the same level of intellectual function as before the accident. But that is not the scope of your post. Sorry. Couldn't resist 😳
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 21:20
    Originally posted by dsmfire
    It is more than likely that you have an average or above average general intellectual functioning, according to your rate. (However your posting might lead to think its more average than above average 😉)

Unless you know something that I don't (which i find hard to believe in this particular field), it is less likely that one will wake up after such a lo ...[text shortened]... tion as before the accident. But that is not the scope of your post. Sorry. Couldn't resist 😳
    Now I actually don't know what you mean. Perhaps I'm the one being unclear.

Let me clarify:
    A lot of people lose a lot of rating in a short while due to circumstances no one knows anything about. If this happens, what is the most appropriate way to regain the former level of rating?
  4. home
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 21:40
    I did not find your first post unclear. Neither your second.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 21:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Suppose the following situation:

Now I have more or less 1600 in rating with a number of 40 games in progress. After a car crash I am in coma for 3 month. When I wake up I found out that my rating has dropped to 800 points. Now I am eager to regain my lost points and enter into the 1600 again. How do I do this?

I can play with 1500 people and get 32 ...[text shortened]... continue playing chess and regain my former level of rating, not upsetting too much of people?
    The best bet is to not join any banded tourneys. You can always give everyone you play a heads up that you are far better than your rating shows. They don't need to play you if they don't want.

P-
  6. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 22:42
    Simply challenge players around the level you should be, explain your rating status up front. Put your circumstance on your profile also.

Beating players well below your previous and deserved rating is not "not nice". It just is what it is. Are there players who are going to go crying home becasue they lost to someone with an 800 rating? Let them cry, and tell them to get a life. This is a game, not our career, and not our family. I will play you if you want, I will lose, and think nothing of it the day after. It is called having perspective in one's life. Do not plan your actions around those who have no perspective and who are thin skinned.
  7. Standard memberimpatient
    Big Cheese
    Pacific NW
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 22:45
    Everywhere I am looking on this site shows your rating at 1615.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 22:52
    Originally posted by impatient
    Everywhere I am looking on this site shows your rating at 1615.
    True, and therefore I started the first posting with "Suppose the following situation".

Now it is 1615, soon it will be more like 1550.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree