1. Joined
    14 Jun '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 15:18
    Hello,

I wish to always use the board in standard position (white pieces at bottom, i.e. a1 square at bottom left), and I get tired of having to press "Flip board" twice at each move, both when the board appears and when I click on Analyze Board.

Would anyone know whether there is (or whether for sure there isn't) a setting to ALWAYS automatically display the board in standard position?

For information: this is a very standard feature, I find it in most other chess sites I use (for example chess.com, but not only).

Thanks and regards,
    Matteo
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 17:23
    Originally posted by mvocale
    Hello,

I wish to always use the board in standard position (white pieces at bottom, i.e. a1 square at bottom left), and I get tired of having to press "Flip board" twice at each move, both when the board appears and when I click on Analyze Board.

Would anyone know whether there is (or whether for sure there isn't) a setting to ALWAYS automatically disp ...[text shortened]... other chess sites I use (for example chess.com, but not only).

Thanks and regards,
    Matteo
    The "standard position" is, as you say a1 in the bottom left for white.
    I can't see any reason for wanting to play from the top of the board when playing black.
    If you were playing o.t.b would you want to reach across in front of your opponent to play your moves? .
    It's only achievable here by "flipping" the board.
  3. Joined
    14 Jun '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 19:08
    Dave / Venda,

Thank you for your reply. "De gustibus non disputandum" 🙂

If you do wish to make the small effort for seeing the reasons for other people's preferences, reasons that you say you can't see, here I offer you mine.

I rarely play o.t.b. When I do play on a solid board with my kids, I play side by side with them, while they play white and I play black. But much more often I either play on the web or I study chess positions, which both in books and on the web are always represented with the standard visual (a1 bottom left).

Many people (like you) don't mind reversing the coordinates when they play black, and of course I understand them. Many other people (like me) prefer to stick with one fixed frame (a1 bottom left), and this is why many chess sites offer this possibility. If this site doesn't offer it, too bad 🙂

Kind regards,
    Matteo
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Apr '13 21:42
    While I think it would be a nice option to have available for those who want it, I don't think this forum is an appropriate place for the discussion. I'd suggest that you leave the programmers to concentrate on their huge current project - the new interface which is about to go live - and raise the topic again in the appropriate Site Ideas Forum where you can gather support for the idea. New features are always being suggested, but most of them lapse simply because not enough people like the idea.

Help Forums are just that - places where people go who need assistance to do things they can't do by themselves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree