Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 13 Aug '07 07:23
    How can I win a game but my rating drops and my opponent's rating goes up???????? even if he lost!
  2. 13 Aug '07 07:50
    It's the 'P'.

For a full explanation, try

a) reading the FAQ or
    b) looking at every fifth post or so in this forum.

C1
  3. 13 Aug '07 09:36
    Originally posted by Rooi baron
    How can I win a game but my rating drops and my opponent's rating goes up???????? even if he lost!
    As long you have a provisional rating the calculation after each game might seem a bit erratic. It's normal. After your 20th game is finnished, everything will be as expected.
  4. 13 Aug '07 18:52
    These threads sure do get annoying. Try reading the FAQ before posting. Thanks
  5. 13 Aug '07 20:25
    Originally posted by Drew L
    These threads sure do get annoying. Try reading the FAQ before posting. Thanks
    Surely it is easier for you, the seasoned all-knowing campaigner to turn the other cheek, than for each and every new chess player to this site to be ridiculed for asking a perfectly reasonable question in the forums.
    Sucessive generations of kids will need to be told the earth is round. Of course you could then shout at them and ask them why they hadnt looked this up on the internet before the class, but this misses the point doesnt it? The guy was asking a question and he turned to the community to ask. People responding like you sure does get annoying
  6. 13 Aug '07 21:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Surely it is easier for you, the seasoned all-knowing campaigner to turn the other cheek, than for each and every new chess player to this site to be ridiculed for asking a perfectly reasonable question in the forums....People responding like you sure does get annoying
    Wasn't trying to be mean, though re-reading it, it comes off that way. Just saying that all your questions and more can be answered in the FAQ to all you new RHP players out there
  7. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    14 Aug '07 03:55
    he has a point. usually the FAQ's are to solve a problem. a HELP page is usually to provide help. a polite statement that it's a statistical quirk that is explained in the FAQ's is courteous and should be sufficient.
  8. 14 Aug '07 06:37
    I think that every one finding such questions annoying should just not answering them.

Every time I see an annoying question I have a choice:
    (1) To annoy myself and give air to my annoyence, or
    (2) just ignore the question and let others answer it who wants to, or
    (3) answer with a FAQ link, or
    (4) answer the question politely and helpfully in rememberence that I, myself, was at one day in the same position, wanting help, and got help from friendly people.

It's not hard to answer politely to newcomers who are lost in this new whole wonderful world of RHP.
  9. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    14 Aug '07 08:40
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    14 Aug '07 13:23
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    FAQ
    FAQ him.
  11. 15 Aug '07 00:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    [b]FAQ him.[/b]
    He's already been FAQed
  12. 25 Aug '07 10:13
    How do you set up a specific board you want to play?
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    25 Aug '07 10:42
    Originally posted by Gustav39
    How do you set up a specific board you want to play?
    Click on New Game (chess board top of this or most any page)

Click "Advanced Options" just above the "Start Game" button

Check the box marked "Play from set piece"

Set up your board, change what you like and you have a set board.

P-