1. Joined
    05 Apr '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 21:50
    Bonjour from Canada,

I checked a box promising "never to use any kind of software," and that's good. I would have very little pleasure or reward if I won a game by using a program of some sort. I have never used an opening book or another person for help either; however, I noticed that no agreement is made.

Long story short. Do the users here have the right to use opening books for help with their opening moves? I would prefer checking something that stressed no help of any sort is allowed to be used, or however one might put that into words.

Remember now. Cheaters are Bottom Feeders!
    Suckers, Squaw Fish and such eh. </:>o---{Please excuse my Canadian accent eh.}😕
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Apr '12 23:39
    Originally posted by DavyJonesHere
    Bonjour from Canada,

I checked a box promising "never to use any kind of software," and that's good. I would have very little pleasure or reward if I won a game by using a program of some sort. I have never used an opening book or another person for help either; however, I noticed that no agreement is made.

Long story short. Do the users here hav ...[text shortened]... Feeders!
    Suckers, Squaw Fish and such eh. </:>o---{Please excuse my Canadian accent eh.}😕
    'Terms of Service'
    Section 3 part (b) 'While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.'

Anything else goes, so yes, opponents can utilise 'pre existing research material' such as opening book...you may of course ask your opponent if, and what exactly, they utilise here..they may of course not respond as is their prerogative...you can also 'remind' all opponents that you utilise merely your own brain in all pursuits here. You can ask if they'd be willing to do likewise and you never know, you MAY get a response 😉
    N.B. Players can utilise whatever they wish as the rules are there to be adhered to, but just because you refrain from opening book doesn't make them any less entitled to occupy an higher rate than your own !!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree