1. Home
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 20:241 edit
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 20:54
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    I haven't been to this site for a while, but they were helpful at one time. They can run a free analysis of your machine and then make suggestions for any problems they find.

www.pcpitstop.com

Don't know if this will help, but worth a try.

regards, Marc
  3. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 21:32
    Wireless! 😏
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 23:29
    Could be a driver limitation.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 23:411 edit
    They hardly ever go over 40ish speeds. And the difference between your 26 and 40 would be so imperceptible anyway, best bet is obviously broadband, dsl or cable.

Driver could help slightly but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
  6. Berks.
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 00:05
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    They hardly ever go over 40ish speeds. And the difference between your 26 and 40 would be so imperceptible anyway, best bet is obviously broadband, dsl or cable.

Driver could help slightly but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
    As someone who has only just recently finished with dial-up, suggesting upgrading isn't too helpful. Whether it be location or contracts or parents not wanting/needing the service, I'd guess a lot wanting faster speeds don't fully have the choice.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Whether it be location or contracts or parents not wanting/needing the service, I'd guess a lot wanting faster speeds don't fully have the choice.
    You're right, some people can't upgrade. I sympathise with them, dial up is terribly slow whatever tweaks are performed.

I should've said it's the best bet to upgrade if you can.
  8. Home
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 04:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    You're right, some people can't upgrade. I sympathise with them, dial up is terribly slow whatever tweaks are performed.

I should've said it's the best bet to upgrade if you can.
    My parents wont upgrade, even though it is only $4.95 more a mount for DSL. So I am stuck with this until august when I leave for collage.
  9. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 05:41
    My parents wont upgrade, even though it is only $4.95 more a mount for DSL. So I am stuck with this until august when I leave for collage.
    I can only hope that collage is more effective at teaching you basic english than high school has been.
  10. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 22:49
    My dialup runs only at 14.4 k, it depends on your phone lines in your house, and your phone companys cables and technology, I doubt there is a way you can speed it up unless you buy or download special software.

I wont even do dialup anymore, its to slow

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree