Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 08 Mar '06 20:24 / 1 edit
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    08 Mar '06 20:54
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    I haven't been to this site for a while, but they were helpful at one time. They can run a free analysis of your machine and then make suggestions for any problems they find.

    www.pcpitstop.com

    Don't know if this will help, but worth a try.

    regards, Marc
  3. Standard member leisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    08 Mar '06 21:32
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    Wireless!
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    08 Mar '06 23:29
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    Could be a driver limitation.
  5. 08 Mar '06 23:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    They hardly ever go over 40ish speeds. And the difference between your 26 and 40 would be so imperceptible anyway, best bet is obviously broadband, dsl or cable.

    Driver could help slightly but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
  6. Subscriber Peakite
    Sais
    09 Mar '06 00:05
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    They hardly ever go over 40ish speeds. And the difference between your 26 and 40 would be so imperceptible anyway, best bet is obviously broadband, dsl or cable.

    Driver could help slightly but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
    As someone who has only just recently finished with dial-up, suggesting upgrading isn't too helpful. Whether it be location or contracts or parents not wanting/needing the service, I'd guess a lot wanting faster speeds don't fully have the choice.
  7. 09 Mar '06 01:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Whether it be location or contracts or parents not wanting/needing the service, I'd guess a lot wanting faster speeds don't fully have the choice.
    You're right, some people can't upgrade. I sympathise with them, dial up is terribly slow whatever tweaks are performed.

    I should've said it's the best bet to upgrade if you can.
  8. 09 Mar '06 04:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    You're right, some people can't upgrade. I sympathise with them, dial up is terribly slow whatever tweaks are performed.

    I should've said it's the best bet to upgrade if you can.
    My parents wont upgrade, even though it is only $4.95 more a mount for DSL. So I am stuck with this until august when I leave for collage.
  9. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    09 Mar '06 05:41
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    My parents wont upgrade, even though it is only $4.95 more a mount for DSL. So I am stuck with this until august when I leave for collage.
    I can only hope that collage is more effective at teaching you basic english than high school has been.
  10. 09 Mar '06 22:49
    Originally posted by blindcheesecake
    Why does my dial-up internet only run at 26.4kbps instead of 56.6kbps. My parents pay for 56.6k service, my computer has a 56.6k modem, there is not a restriction set on the speed of the modem on my computer. Any suggestions?
    My dialup runs only at 14.4 k, it depends on your phone lines in your house, and your phone companys cables and technology, I doubt there is a way you can speed it up unless you buy or download special software.

    I wont even do dialup anymore, its to slow