1. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 06:561 edit
    Hi im approx 2100 otb however i am now facing an opponant alot stronger than me so to help with my game ive enlisted the assistance of a FIDE coach to go through the openning i am in and instruct me on the likely and useful attacks and counters and the kind of positions this can lead to (altho we are NOT playing the game move for move, he is only discussing the openning itself and the likely plays in the middle game) he is doing this on a one of basis before we actually start moving in the middle game just to help me with the things to expect incase ive missed something.
    If this is cheating i simpley wont do it but if its just coaching as i intend then great....

Many thanks j
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 07:30
    If I had a coach like you have, I would play the RHP game first and then analyze the game with the opening theory, the tactics involved, the overall strategy and the endgame tecnicalities afterward, but let the game be while it is in progress and do the analyze when finished.

Then you are on the safe side, and you know that you win the games of your own skill, and not the one of the coach.
  3. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 11:13
    Originally posted by h4rdriv3
    Hi im approx 2100 otb however i am now facing an opponant alot stronger than me so to help with my game ive enlisted the assistance of a FIDE coach to go through the openning i am in and instruct me on the likely and useful attacks and counters and the kind of positions this can lead to (altho we are NOT playing the game move for move, he is only discussing ...[text shortened]... eating i simpley wont do it but if its just coaching as i intend then great....

Many thanks j
    Sorry, but you are breaking the rules by asking your coach to give advice about a game in progress. It doesn't matter whether he talks in generalities or shows you specific moves. It's definitely cheating.
  4. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 11:571 edit
    I see so i will not do it then. I was only going to ask him about tactics against the openning as a whole not go into details of the game, but the idea that this might be thought of as cheating did cross my mind so i thought id better tell all before going ahead just to get a view as to what feeling s were.
    As i have said since this is the general concensus im not going to do it it was just an idea that might have helped me learn more from the game...
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 12:44
    I see so i will not do it then. I was only going to ask him about tactics against the openning as a whole not go into details of the game, but the idea that this might be thought of as cheating did cross my mind so i thought id better tell all before going ahead just to get a view as to what feeling s were.
    As i have said since this is the general concens ...[text shortened]... im not going to do it it was just an idea that might have helped me learn more from the game...
    While you can't discuss an in progress game with another person, you can buy a book and read up on the themes of the opening.

D
  6. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:14
    yeah i do that anyway but when you have a coach (altho some may see it as abit lazy) it sometimes helps to just ask them what their take on a particular openning is, as they often can surgest reading materials and the strengths and pit falls in certain responses more clearly than can be expressed in the written word.
    As ive heard qouted to me many times if you want to learn to swim get in the water if you want to learn to play chess get on a board!
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 14:49
    if you want to learn to play chess get on a board!
    Or surfing.

D
  8. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 15:26
    The general opinion seems to be that its cheating. Still, if you message your opponent and explain the situation he/she may feel ok with it.
    If so, I don't see a problem.

Phil.
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 15:34
    Originally posted by MrPhil
    The general opinion seems to be that its cheating. Still, if you message your opponent and explain the situation he/she may feel ok with it.

Phil.
    From the terms of service, which you agreed to when you joined.
    "3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    You also agree to :

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials. "

D
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 15:37
    Originally posted by MrPhil

Phil.
    You would need to play unrated games if you wanted to play this type of game. I've played using an engine in unrated games with the other user's permission.

Any game where you are getting help you play unrated, and be sure your opponant knows exactly what you are doing.

P-
  11. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 20:05
    Thank you ragnorak the rules are very clear in hindsight...
    but just so no one gets the wrong end of the stick it was NEVER my intention to get help on moves while the game was being played ie "you should do this or you should do that" merely what were the strengths and weakness of the openings themselves when they are played against each other.
    Even so i think the easiest way is just to findout for myself by observing a few master or near master level games im sure i have it covered in a book or a pgn somewhere in my pile (thats what i affectionately call the 1000 odd book pile up in the spare room which has nearly cost me a relationship on a number of occasions) where i can review whats worked in the past for the same effect. i was just being uncharecteristically lazy.
    thanks all
    but as i said previously in the post above im not going down this route anymore.
    regards
  12. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    14 Jun '07 23:12
    If I hit an area of the game that is particularly questionable, I'll sometimes write down some notes about what I was thinking about in that position and how I made my decision, so that when the game is over I can still reconsider it with outside help.

Maybe that's a good thing to do with your chess coach.

Also helps me slow down and organize my thoughts since I have to stop to write down my thought process. Obviously wouldn't work in a timed game, but works great with correspondence chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree