1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '06 18:34
    If the experience of Knoppix is huge, the experience of MS Windows is huge-huge. None of my mates at work know anything about Knoppix but everyone is working on a MS Windows system.

Don't misunderstand me. Knoppix is certainly better in MS Windows in many respects but it is far less known as MS Windows. But when I'll choose a system for my next PC I'll choose a OS which is more known, I can use all of the programs I use before and I'm used to, including my favourite games, and the OS I feel most good of.

But if I am interested in computers and programming and solving problems, hardware as well as software, I would choose Knoppix, or any other OS, just for fun.

So my opinion is, for short, why change a working system at all? MS Windows works well for me. I have all the security I need. Let the interested ones try out the Knoppix but let the rest of us use our MS Windows as we like.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 08:441 edit
    Fair enough. I'm not trying to convert anyone (this is starting to sound like the spirituality forum - I wonder if the choice of os can be considered a religion).

I'm simply saying that there are other systems to choose from out there. The only problem I have with people not choosing for themselves is that it gives one player too much power, meaning higher prices, lesser support and generally lower quality. Competition helps to relieve that. Microsoft Windows has never been better than XP, and I'm sure the next system will be even better. You think that this is because Microsoft is such a benevolent company only looking after its customers best interest? Of course not. Windows is getting more stable and secure by the year, because there are opponents starting to eat up windows marketshare. It's a good thing. So keep using your system and I'll keep using what I like, and let people know about the alternatives. That's what I think.

{The fact that people in general don't know about the alternatives doesn't mean that the most commonly known system is the best one. It only means that the most commonly known system is the most commonly known system. And it is the most commonly known system as a result of good marketing and the fact that the most commonly known system comes preinstalled on the most commonly known computer brands (again a result of marketing).}

[Edit: Most commonly known system. (I just had to say it one more time.)]
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 10:05
    History tells us that it is not the best solution that takes the market. BetaMax or VHS in the 80's is only one of many examples. People want to have what everyone else have, in order to get help when needed. Noone (except the experts) want the rare solutions.

Exactly the same diskussion runs with PC and MAC, Volvo and Saab, Jesus and Muhammed, Rock or Pop, Communism and Capitalism, Dit and dat... Is the diskussion even meaningful?

You use what you want. I use what I want. Everyone use what they want.

Why change anything taht runs to sometihing else you don't know anything about?

And this is my last posting in this matter.
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    History tells us that it is not the best solution that takes the market. [...] And this is my last posting in this matter.
    Yes, I agree, this is getting tedious (not to mention ridiculous). So, I will say just one thing more. Markets are fluid in nature, and Microsoft's windows may own the desktop market at the moment, but it can still change for the better in the future. And I for one, hopes that it will. Competition is good.

There. Now I'll be quiet on this matter too. Let this thread die an honorable death and fall into blessed oblivion (since you and I are apparently the only ones left here).

Enjoy life. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree