1. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 16:16
    Originally posted by Chrismo
    To begin with we will keep all tournament and clan games on a '0 day' timebank. If the timebank becomes popular for normal games we will introduce it for clan and tourney games.

-Chris
    Sooner the better for clan games please 😀
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 18:15
    Originally posted by Rhymester
    Sooner the better for clan games please 😀
    I agree. Our first challenge, which started on June 3rd, is still in progress, with no end in sight. Six plus months to complete a challenge is just plain stupid. Not that I'm blaming your clan, of course.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 18:26
    Sooner the better for Tourney games too please

Thire's idea is interesting but unless the timebank is set very high I can see people losing on time in long games when they have not been physically able to play the whole game in the time avaalable. Postal chess used to (still does?) work on a 'flag drop' system at an average of 2 or 3 days per move. It seems to me if we are not able to use markers at say move 30, move 50 etc. as in postal chess then there will continue to be a need for timeout supplemented by timebanks. Or do you want to set timeouts at 0 and timebanks at 420 to cope with a 60 move game (not that unusual) at 7 days per move? I think timebanks are the way forward but we're going to have to experiment a lot before we get the levels set fairly.
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 12:122 edits
    how do I "eat" my timebank? every started day is a ful day? so if the timebank started 5 min before, a whole day is lost or just 5 min?
    th

[edit]
    ...2nd question: could you add a 4 day timeout: It's better if you don't play on weekends. or could you give us "open timeouts" which are limited between 1 and 30 days? or why not?

[2nd edit]
    I guess 95% of T/Os are 7 days, no?
  5. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 13:571 edit
    I would prefer this system :

- Timebank only.
    - Players agree on Timebank, minimum 10 days, maximum 100 days.
    - Timebank is increased by 50% at move 41.
    - Timebank consumption unit is one hour.
    - Clan games have a max Timebank of 50 days.

This system is easy to understand and very flexible.
    And it would certainly speed up a lot of games.

PS All Siege games should have a Timebank of 10 days.
    Just do the maths, i am 8th in the queue of a seven day castle. I could have to wait 7 games x 30 moves x 2 players x 7 days = 2940 days to start my attack 🙁😠🙁😛😀
  6. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 14:02
    And yes yes yes : automatic time outs for all ! No mercy ! 😀 🙄 😀
  7. Amsterdam
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 15:231 edit
    No, no, no, no, no!

It would be terrible if we would only have a timebank, and not 7 (for example) days for every move as well, because you can not know at the beginning of the game, how many moves the game will take!

Imagine that when somebody can only move every 6 days, then that would mean for a 100 day timebank, that you would have to finish the game with 16 moves! That's ridiculous!

Chris' original idea is the best, standard T/O period, and then an extra timebank.

Nohup, waiting is a part of Correspondence Chess, if you want fast games, I suggest you get an account on the ICC.

Olav
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 16:17
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    No, no, no, no, no!

It would be terrible if we would only have a timebank, and not 7 (for example) days for every move as well, because you can not know at the beginning of the game, how many moves the game will take!

Imagine that when somebody can only move every 6 days, then that would mean for a 100 day timebank, that you would have to finish t ...[text shortened]... f Correspondence Chess, if you want fast games, I suggest you get an account on the ICC.

Olav
    There is a difference between wanting fast games and wanting to avoid excruciatingly slow games. I don't know many people who enjoy getting stuck in a match with some laggard who only moves once a week. Using your scenario of someone who only moves once every six days: a 40 move game would last 240 days, or about eight months. As I stated earlier, to have to wait that long to finish a game is just plain stupid.
  9. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 17:30
    Originally posted by thire
    how do I "eat" my timebank? every started day is a ful day? so if the timebank started 5 min before, a whole day is lost or just 5 min?
    th

[edit]
    ...2nd question: could you add a 4 day timeout: It's better if you don't play on weekends. or could you give us "open timeouts" which are limited between 1 and 30 days? or why not?

[2nd edit]
    I guess 95% of T/Os are 7 days, no?
    The timebank will be consumed in periods of one second.
  10. Amsterdam
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 19:002 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There is a difference between wanting fast games and wanting to avoid excruciatingly slow games. I don't know many people who enjoy getting stuck in a match with some laggard who only moves once a week. Using your scenario of someone who ...[text shortened]... to have to wait that long to finish a game is just plain stupid.
    I have to disagree with you, how could someone be a lag when moving once a week, while the T/O is set to 7, or even more, days?

Isn't Chess supposed to be relaxing on a great site like this? Then how can it be relaxing if there is the constant pressure of just having to move so often!?

It just isn't possible for some people to move more often than once a week, you should respect that, and not find that stupid.

Olav
  11. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 21:23

Isn't Chess supposed to be relaxing on a great site like this? Then how can it be relaxing if there is the constant pressure of just having to move so often!?

It just isn't possible for some people to move more often than once a week, you should respect that, and not find that stupid.

Hi Olav,

I am convinced most people play chess to get excited, not to relax 🙂
    I love time pressure, it s part of the game.
    Having to wait six days to see e4 answered by c5 is pretty boring if
    you ask me.
    But okay, if you want very slow games I would adapt my Timebank Only proposal ( see my previous post in this thread ) ..
    Timebank maximum could be 300 days iso 100 days.

Kindest,
    Jan

12. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Dec '03 00:50
    Originally posted by Chrismo
    The timebank will be consumed in periods of one second.
    Hey Chrismo I start lovi' ya posts!! 😀 😀
    This is RHP as I know it from Russ (he seems to be the guy who does nothing but earns all the honour for your work 😉 )
    th

ps: @Russ: I hope you did not read that! 😲
  13. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    20 Dec '03 10:15
    Originally posted by Nohup
    Hi Olav,

I am convinced most people play chess to get excited, not to relax 🙂
    I love time pressure, it s part of the game.
    Having to wait six days to see e4 answered by c5 is pretty boring if
    you ask me.
    But okay, if you want very slow games I would adapt my Timebank Only proposal ( see my previous post in this thread ) ..
    Timebank maximum could be 300 days iso 100 days.

Kindest,
    Jan

Olav and Nohup,

You are both representing two different opinions with one simple solution. A combination of the current timeout and the proposed timebank with the option to set one of them to zero will satisfy both of your needs.
    Clan games, Tournaments and personal games can be set up in either way. If you just like timebank only games you just have to accept those kind of games.
    So, what are you worried about?

Gotti
  14. England
    Moves
    20 Dec '03 12:05
    if you all decide to up grade system could you enter a note pad adition as you could enter something to look at in each game as some take a long time to move and a few notes would help me remember
  15. Joined
    14 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Dec '03 15:02
    Originally posted by gotti2000
    ... A combination of the current timeout and the proposed timebank with the option to set one of them to zero will satisfy both of your needs.
    I could live with that.
    But will it be possible to set timeout to zero ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree