1. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 18:54
    I am trying to find out how to tell what the name of each tournament means.
    I noticed in the Tournament area FAQ there is a name of a tournament style where you have to play a certain opening.
    How do I know if this is the case in any of the current tournaments open?
    I would hate to be a fool, join a tournament, and not play it correctly.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 19:17
    Originally posted by IM14u2NV
    I am trying to find out how to tell what the name of each tournament means.
    I noticed in the Tournament area FAQ there is a name of a tournament style where you have to play a certain opening.
    How do I know if this is the case in any of the current tournaments open?
    I would hate to be a fool, join a tournament, and not play it correctly.
    Let's say you enter the "Victorinus Grouped Random 0-1250 - 34 Open to new entrants 3 14 n/a 16 64 0 1249 4 Random" as you can find in the Tournaments Page.

It is a banded tournament for players with rating up to 1250. Thinking time is 3 days a move with 14 days of additional timebank. It is played in groups of 4 players, this mean that you play 6 games simultaneously. Not a very high game load for you. In fact, this is a tournament I recommend for you. Join it and have fun.
  3. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 19:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Let's say you enter the "Victorinus Grouped Random 0-1250 - 34 Open to new entrants 3 14 n/a 16 64 0 1249 4 Random" as you can find in the Tournaments Page.

It is a banded tournament for players with rating up to 1250. Thinking time is 3 days a move with 14 days of additional timebank. It is played in groups of 4 players, this mean that you play 6 ga ...[text shortened]... h game load for you. In fact, this is a tournament I recommend for you. Join it and have fun.
    Thank you and I will.

Is it safe to then ignore (Victornius) as this does not effect the tournament type.
    Could I apply this thinking to the other tournaments also?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 20:49
    Originally posted by IM14u2NV
    Thank you and I will.

Is it safe to then ignore (Victornius) as this does not effect the tournament type.
    Could I apply this thinking to the other tournaments also?
    I think you are thinking of thematic tourneys where you play a proper opening. They are marked with a T and usually start from a set board position. You don't need to follow the opening lines, but it might be wise to look them up before you get behind in the first few moves.

P-
  5. Standard memberIM4Y2NV
    Dadohalic
    Finger tip talking.
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 22:58
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I think you are thinking of thematic tourneys where you play a proper opening. They are marked with a T and usually start from a set board position. You don't need to follow the opening lines, but it might be wise to look them up before you get behind in the first few moves.

P-
    Thanks!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree