Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    21 Apr '15 15:10 / 24 edits
    If you have any support questions, or issues, please post them here and we will attempt to resolve them and maintain a FAQ below :

    Captured pieces are not showing on blitz?
    This is being investigated. The issue is confirmed, it is a bug, it will be fixed over the coming days.

    My Games on Mobile requires too much scrolling!
    Updated 2015-04-23 14:00GMT
    A new version of the compact view has been released. This is a regular table with very little white space that doesn't collapse to a vertical stack on mobile. The game type icon now doubles up as a game state indicator, which can be clicked to go straight to the game.
    This allows mobile users to see the state of the game quickly, something that would otherwise require horizontal scrolling.


    My Games list does not show enough games anymore?
    Updated 2015-04-23 14:00GMT
    Please select the new compact view, as discussed above.

    How can I view the desktop version on my phone?

    The site defaults to mobile view when accessed on low resolution devices (phones). The full desktop experience is still available, but the presentation is modified to better suit mobile displays. (Note : mobile.redhotpawn.com is just a bare bones mobile version and will be discontinued soon) If you really want the desktop version on your phone still, please post to this thread and provide details.

    Missing menus?

    Please read this blog post Blog Post 235

    All I see is a big red bar, I can't use the site!
    Some IE9 users were experiencing this, but has since been fixed.
  2. 22 Apr '15 06:02 / 1 edit
    On my iPhone 6, with Safari: Big problem..... It doesn't look at all like your picture. My screen is now full with information of one game only, with huge space in between the few lines. No overview, i don't even know will i find my way back to this help forum. What do i do.....
  3. 22 Apr '15 06:43
    Horrid!! I mostly play on my iphone and was perfectly happy with the traditional layout. It was simple and did not need messing with. This new layout is not good and terribly tough to negotiate easily. Bad move guys......
  4. 22 Apr '15 07:28
    Looking great on iPad...!
  5. 22 Apr '15 08:12
    Is there any way to get a non-mobile view? I've always used the main desktop view on my phone.
  6. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '15 08:18
    Originally posted by BaronVonChickenpants
    Is there any way to get a non-mobile view? I've always used the main desktop view on my phone.
    There isn't, but if enough people really want this, I can probably add the option.
    Can you give details on the issue with the mobile version? This is not the cut back web app from before, the mobile version has every feature of the desktop now.
  7. 22 Apr '15 08:30 / 1 edit
    Hi Russ,

    Thanks for the reply.. With the current view I find it hard to get an at-a-glace view of my games, which ones are in danger of timing out, which are using timebank and so on.

    I think this is probably due to the 'responsive' element of the new design. If I take my desktop browser and shrink with width right down then it looks like like the mobile version. I/e. the games listing changes from all game info on one line to each game taking up a lot more height, meaning I can only see a handful of games at once. On the mobile browser I am unable to zoom out at all to try to get more horizontal size if you know what I mean

    I would personally prefer that the games info remain all on one line like a regular table on mobile ( or at least to have that option to cater for other users tastes ) With that info all available in one column I found it easy to scan which games needed my attention at that time.

    I hope this helps!
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '15 08:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by BaronVonChickenpants
    Hi Russ,

    Thanks for the reply.. With the current view I find it hard to get an at-a-glace view of my games, which ones are in danger of timing out, which are using timebank and so on.

    I think this is probably due to the 'responsive' element of the new design. If I take my desktop browser and shrink with width right down then it looks like ...[text shortened]... lumn I found it easy to scan which games needed my attention at that time.

    I hope this helps!
    Can you update later and confirm that your issue is only with the "my games" list rather than the rest of the "mobile" presentation? If so, this is definitely something to address.
  9. 22 Apr '15 09:11
    Great on iPad as I mentioned a few posts ago, but just visited the site via smartphone (HTC M8) and I'm afraid it's the complete opposite - can only see one or two of my current 12-odd games, even in 'Compact' view where I was previously able to see a full summary of games. I like the look and feel of the new interface on iPad very much, but the upgrade doesn't work so far on smartphone. I haven't tried looking at it on desktop/PC yet - I suspect this will be ok.
  10. 22 Apr '15 11:45
    I always love a new sleeker look to websites and have never really understood all the bitching that comes from people.
    I do have a slight complaint though; when trying to set up a challenge to another clan, I would open up the "info" on both players and be able to compare them side by side.
    Easily allowing me to see their recent 90 day rating, their year and 5 year stats.
    Now it seems I have to open one players info, memorize it and then open up the other players info and compare that way.
    Am I missing something or is there a way to have two info windows open at the same time?
    Thanks.
  11. 22 Apr '15 11:46
    Originally posted by Russ
    Can you update later and confirm that your issue is only with the "my games" list rather than the rest of the "mobile" presentation? If so, this is definitely something to address.
    Hi Russ,

    Yes, the My Games listing is what I mean, sorry I should have made that clear.

    I've played a couple of turns on the new interface. The board seems to be automatically resize ever so slightly as I scroll it up and down , but turns are playable just fine.
  12. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '15 12:04
    The IE9 issue has been resolved.

    Apologies to all those with the issue earlier today - it should never have made it to production. (A minor last minute styling change had a big impact.)
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '15 12:07
    Originally posted by UNCLEBRO
    I always love a new sleeker look to websites and have never really understood all the bitching that comes from people.
    I do have a slight complaint though; when trying to set up a challenge to another clan, I would open up the "info" on both players and be able to compare them side by side.
    Easily allowing me to see their recent 90 day rating, their year ...[text shortened]... m I missing something or is there a way to have two info windows open at the same time?
    Thanks.
    No, this is not possible - the old windowing system was not a good fit for anything other than mouse controlled desktops. Therefore...I'll need to provide a solution - a dialog that shows both. If you don't get it soon, nag via feedback.
  14. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    22 Apr '15 12:08
    Originally posted by BaronVonChickenpants
    Hi Russ,

    Yes, the My Games listing is what I mean, sorry I should have made that clear.

    I've played a couple of turns on the new interface. The board seems to be automatically resize ever so slightly as I scroll it up and down , but turns are playable just fine.
    The board always tries to make best use of the screen on mobile now - which is most likely causing this issue.. Which phone/OS version are you using?
  15. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    22 Apr '15 12:27
    there isn't a link to directly access the clan standing. I went through the smaller link under the large ones, Clans, then select clan, home page then to all clans.
    Seems rather involved, can you link it back please?