1. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 03:10
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Judging by your reply Katja, I'd say you're struggling to rally any support for the Jungle Drum brigade.

skeeter
    I happen to like skeeters aviator. Reminds me of me.
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 05:34
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I happen to like skeeters aviator. Reminds me of me.
    Hey! Dibs off my pilot, besides, you haven't been introduced yet.

skeeter
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 05:48
    Hey! Dibs off my pilot, besides, you haven't been introduced yet.

skeeter
    I am loud enough that introductions are a just a waste of of good tequila. Come dance on my chess board. Don't forget the lime!
  4. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 06:30
    Originally posted by stocken
    You are really having two problems, aren't you?

1) Pieces are replaced by other pieces (pawn for a bishop and the like)
    2) Pieces doesn't appear at all.

Of course, I realize that this is a critical issue for you, but before a fix can be made you need to clearly describe the problems. For instance, if pieces disappearing are always the same ones or tot ...[text shortened]... er while you're waiting for their bugfix. Firefox (I'm sure you've heard) is excellent.
    I have been thinking about your advice to contact Opera. So I did. I hope they get a thousand emails. Maybe it might do some good. We will see. Thanks for everyones input.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 07:03
    Well, it just begs to be said, so I'm going to say it.

All you left field IT rad's who have aligned themselves with "no one owns it so it must be better" brigade have all been sucked in, when it comes to a choice of OS/browser platforms.

Listen to all the whiny whimpy whingeing that is coming from these woofters whose pidgeons have truly come home to ...[text shortened]... ..thank you MS. Sometimes the course of least resistance is really the easiest.

skeeter
    I like the way you show your ignorance more and more every time you post. Its kind of cute.

Please post a link to any thread in which somebody with Firefox/Mozilla has had a problem? In fact, I think you'll only find links where people have been directed to change to Firefox which has fixed their problems, in some instances from IE (on Mac).

Are you trying to say that Opera and iMac aren't owned by anyone? Ever heard of Apple? Opera was up until recently a commercially sold piece of software. Now it is given away and the company who develops it makes its money from support.

Anyway, its been super talking with you, all the best.

D
  6. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 07:24
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I like the way you show your ignorance more and more every time you post. Its kind of cute.

Please post a link to any thread in which somebody with Firefox/Mozilla has had a problem? In fact, I think you'll only find links where people have been directed to change to Firefox which has fixed their problems, in some instances from IE (on Mac).

Are you ...[text shortened]... ] makes its money from support.

Anyway, its been super talking with you, all the best.

D
    Thanks Rag. Love you too.

skeeter
  7. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 10:09
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I am saying that work around's are not fixes but only work around's. While there may be bugs that need to be fixed on every browser except firefox which I somehow doubt. I am saying if everyones browsers worked before on this web site and most other web sites why not now? Could it be that this site it is too java script heavy?
    Unfortunately, workarounds is all you've got until the problems are fixed. A crappy work-around is better than actually making poor moves, isn't it?

Yes, the javascripting of the new board may be too heavy for Opera to handle (and apparently ie also has problems with it if the cache is not cleared - although I suspect that has more to do with old javascript files lying about and... wait a second...).

Have you tried clearing the cache of your Opera?

Here's my latest theory. Russ will have to confirm/spoil this because I really have no idea what he's been up to, but imagine this:

1) Old site has two javascripts relating to the board. We call them 1.js and 2.js (yes, my imagination for filenaming is tremendous).
    2) The new site introduces a third script 3.js and a lot of changes to 1.js and 2.js.

What if the browser doesn't fetch the new versions of 1.js and 2.js because they are cached, but fetches 3.js because it's new? Then what? It could be that the javascripts won't work well together.

Then again, I could be all mistaken. Clear the cache and see what happens. It can't hurt.

What I really wanted to say is that if the problems you're having is related to the javascripts being too heavy, I'd hate for Russ to fix them. The only possible fix I can think of to such a problem is to remove some of the new features. If indeed the scripts are too heavy for Opera I think Russ should remove Opera from the supported browsers.
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 10:24
    By the way I'm now using the latest version of Opera (build 7721) and I have no problems at all. (Yet.)

I'll just keep using Opera a few days for the fun of it.
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    ...Please post a link to any thread in which somebody with Firefox/Mozilla has had a problem?
    Where to start??? this one will do.....

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=38808

skeeter
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 12:55
    Unfortunately, workarounds is all you've got until the problems are fixed. A crappy work-around is better than actually making poor moves, isn't it?

Absolutely there is no question about it. The Analyze board alone is worth the effort for me. It just seemed baffling to me that browsers failed. I was thinking if mine failed, how many more? I am not married to any of them, it just struck me as odd that everyone would need to change. I only hope that new players yet to visit will be understanding. I am not sure newbies are going to want to change their browsers or will even know to change if they don't use the forums. Especially those without administrative authority. Helpfully explanations won't have to go on full time. But Russ is still working hard and things are coming together. I am optimistic yet quizzical.

Yes, the javascripting of the new board may be too heavy for Opera to handle (and apparently ie also has problems with it if the cache is not cleared - although I suspect that has more to do with old javascript files lying about and... wait a second...).

Have you tried clearing the cache of your Opera?

Yes, that was my first thought. I was thinking it helped my pages load faster but didn't seem to help with the disappearing. But it was erratic as you know. And I didn't exactly post immediately when it first occurred. So it is possible that cache still could be part or all of the problem. But if it is filling up to fast... If that is the case though wouldn't it be the same with all browsers? I don't know I really gave up on it temporarily because I wanted to experiment with the latest IE to see what was going on there. So far I have found nothing to write home about. Everything seems to work fine on that Browser yet I hear it is suppose to jump up and bite me or something. Hummm. Go figure. Anyway I already had firefox never did really like it, but I can live with it. I will check it out next.

By the way your java script theory sounds as good as anything I could have made up. Probably better. I almost feel re-edumacated. And just to think all this for free. If you were blowing smoke, I was sure sucking it in. Had my head nodding up and down like a puppy in a back seat car window. You may have it sort of figured out. But stop talking about getting rid of stuff I would rather split the board in half and use two web sites. (Just kidding) Anyway let's not give up too soon. Russ has a lot of hat tricks. I just want to know what he is going to do about web tv.😀
  11. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 22:14
    Well, it just begs to be said, so I'm going to say it.

All you left field IT rad's who have aligned themselves with "no one owns it so it must be better" brigade have all been sucked in, when it comes to a choice of OS/browser platforms.

Listen to all the whiny whimpy whingeing that is coming from these woofters whose pidgeons have truly come home to ...[text shortened]... ..thank you MS. Sometimes the course of least resistance is really the easiest.

skeeter
    Problems with Safari? Not here.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 02:28
    Where to start??? this one will do.....

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=38808

skeeter
    You mean the thread where the user was using firefox for Dos? In which he posted this, once recommended to upgrade?
    "Thanks for the post

Updated to firefox (thought I''d better join this millenium)
    and everthing appears cool

Regards"

Thanks skeeter, you make me laugh and I really like to laugh.

D
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 08:08
    Just a friendly warning skeeter, I've heard news of a new IE-based exploit through which a script running on a website can have access to your clipboard (whatever you last copy pasted) and your DNS history. All you have to do is visit the site with the script (which would be invisible) on it.
    This only affects Internet Explorer and Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the exploit let alone patch for it.

Hope you've been surfing safely.
  14. Joined
    14 Feb '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:38
    i have web tv i can now move in legacy but there is no lines on board can anyone help?
  15. Joined
    08 Jun '01
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 02:09
    I'm using Explorer 5.2 on a Mac with 10/3/9. Why can't I use the new board?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree