1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 14:182 edits
    I recently saw it posted by a game mod that if I tell someone during a game in progress to NOT take a draw or to go for the draw that this is breaking the rules.
    Here's the problem.
    I am the clan leader of our clan. Recently we had a player in our clan who was matched up against the clan leader of another clan in a clan match. After 13 moves in the games our player accepted two draws against their opponent in this clan match. Our player was up a pawn in one game and a minor piece in the other. These two draws gave us a clan loss in this clan match.
    If our player would have won just one game we would have won the clan match!

I asked our player why the He!! did they accept two draws in their clan games when they were winning both games after only 13 moves. Our player informed me that their opponent asked for two draws because they needed personal time with their family.
    Our players opponent ( the clan leader of the other clan) continued to move every day, several times a day on all their other games. As I suspected.
    I told our player from now on to consult me first anytime before they accept any draw offers. Is this cheating??? Or is this considered consulting a third party during a game in progress?? If so ? How the heck am I suppose to run our team or clan, or be the clan leader if I cannot even tell one of our players NOT to accept a draw in a situation like this??? 😕
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 14:331 edit
    The way I understand the rules is: You can only tell [advise] people in general and not in specific games.

But maybe the rules are different for clans.
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 14:451 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    The way I understand the rules is: You can only tell [advise] people in general and not in specific games.

But maybe the rules are different for clans.
    lol, So that would mean it's all in the way I worded NO! don't accept the draw.
    Either that or message all my players and tell them all up front never to accept draw offers at all. Even if their opponents mother just died and they had to fly to Iceland or something for the funeral. No disrespect to Iceland.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 15:20
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    lol, So that would mean it's all in the way I worded NO! don't accept the draw.
    Either that or message all my players and tell them all up front never to accept draw offers at all. Even if their opponents mother just died and they had to fly to Iceland or something for the funeral. No disrespect to Iceland.
    People who have a problem shouldn't ask for a draw, they should resign. It's not YOUR problem if THEY have problems.

I've asked my clan leader if I should time someone out, the answer was as expected...

"Hell Yes".

Letting everyone know upfront will avoid people asking... and most clans play to win.

The bad side of this 'asking' is when you ask "Should I take the draw?" and the leader says "No, you have a winning position. That is 3rd party advice on a game in progress. Let everyone know up-front to always play to win, and they need to decide if they should go for a draw or resign a game.

P-
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 15:29
    Only the player himself should play his game. A draw decision is a part of the game and therefore he should not take advace from anyone.

The clan leader cannot give advice to his players about a draw offer. Clan games have the same rules as any other games about cheating, no exception.
  6. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    People who have a problem shouldn't ask for a draw, they should resign. It's not YOUR problem if THEY have problems.

I've asked my clan leader if I should time someone out, the answer was as expected...

"Hell Yes".

Letting everyone know upfront will avoid people asking... and most clans play to win.

The bad side of this 'asking' is when you a y to win, and they need to decide if they should go for a draw or resign a game.

P-
    Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
    This player was new to our clan and RHP. And they had a big heart. To big! And they got suckered.
    And I quess I didn't make it clear enough to always go for the win. I don't want our players to think that's all I think about. And I don't know quite how to explain that to all our players without some thinking that.
    We have a couple players who have a problem with claiming timeouts in clan matches. And they get upset when I ask them why haven't you claimed this or that timeout?? And they say, I was just giving them some more time, or they are winning and I didn't think it was fair to claim it.
    DUDE, or DUDESS, Claim the DAMN timeout for our team.
    you numbskull. 😕
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 15:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Only the player himself should play his game. A draw decision is a part of the game and therefore he should not take advace from anyone.

The clan leader cannot give advice to his players about a draw offer. Clan games have the same rules as any other games about cheating, no exception.
    Well I haven't been asked as of yet.
    But I asked this player to consult me before they ever did again. And now that I know that it is against the rules it will not happen. I will just explain to all our players upfront before anymore clan matches.

😕
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 16:09
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Well I haven't been asked as of yet.
    But I asked this player to consult me before they ever did again. And now that I know that it is against the rules it will not happen. I will just explain to all our players upfront before anymore clan matches.

😕
    I would have booted anyone giving a pity-draw based on someone's sob story. War is war, losers!

P-
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Jun '07 16:144 edits
    I would have booted anyone giving a pity-draw based on someone's sob story. War is war, [b]losers!

P-[/b]
    lol, Well we do have a opening on our team (clan). And this player is not in our clan anymore. 😉
    War is war,
    I totally AGREE! 😀
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 06:03

There's nothing wrong with someone asking for a draw in such circumstances. Of course, you are under no obligation to agree to the request.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 13:101 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid
    There's nothing wrong with someone asking for a draw in such circumstances. Of course, you are under no obligation to agree to the request.
    It's my opinion that if you have something come up you resign, and don't beg for a draw. There is something wrong with it... it's my opinion. You don't have to agree if you feel differently, but in my opinion you are wrong to ask for the draw.

What does the other player owe you because you can't play your game?

P-
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 15:531 edit
    It's my opinion that if you have something come up you resign, and don't beg for a draw. There is something wrong with it... it's my opinion. You don't have to agree if you feel differently, but in my opinion you are wrong to ask for the draw.

P-
    This also is my opinion.
    The fact that every paying subscriber has 36 days of vacation a year, plus the timeout/timebank, it is more than enough time in my eyes to take personal time off. Or bussiness time off for that matter.

Also the fact is this player didn't need the time off. If he did he wouldn't have kept moving on all his other games every day several times a day.
    He suckered our player into believing he had a family crisis and couldn't play his games. Our player was winning both clan games. But he still had compassion on his opponent and gave him the draws. And it all turned out to be a big lie. As I suspected.
    Live and learn. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on ME!
    If our player would have asked me first if it was ok to take the draws I would have said hell no! And I would have explained why.
    And this thread was started to see if I had done that, would it have been against the rules for me as clan leader to give him that advice. And I found out it is against the rules. So it won't happen.
    You can always ask for a draw but I tell you what, You won't get one from me esp, if I winning, or if the clan match depends on our games.
    And for someone to ask for a draw and give a big sob story that is a lie, when they are losing just to get the clan win is wrong in my book. They are just poor losers. And there's more to this story but I won't go into that at this time. But it was wrong in my eyes. And others I C.
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 18:43
    I do believe that it is illegal on RHP, but in the USCF in team competition, it is acceptable to ask your clan leader if you should take a draw. He/she may then respond by explaining what it will do to your teams chances to win the competition overall. So if these rules applied to RHP you would be able to say "if you accept the draws we will lose 4-3, if you take one draw will will tie" or something to that extent.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '07 19:26
    why don't you tell your clan members to look at the challenge situation before thinking about accepting/offering draws?

i never cared enough to tell anyone myself but usually looked at my on challenges before deciding on any potential draws, it should be common sense to do whatever's right for your clan in the challenges. i can remember drawing a few games that i was up in just to end them because the challenge was won.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 04:31

P-
    I agree.

Also, there really isn't any shame in resigning because something came up.

It is only a game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree