1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 12:07
    Originally posted by zebano
    I do believe that it is illegal on RHP, but in the USCF in team competition, it is acceptable to ask your clan leader if you should take a draw. He/she may then respond by explaining what it will do to your teams chances to win the competition overall. So if these rules applied to RHP you would be able to say "if you accept the draws we will lose 4-3, if you take one draw will will tie" or something to that extent.
    I kinda like the idea, but I think it would open up a whole can of worms for a correspondence chess site and many would abuse the rule if it were put in place.
    I think the rule is best the way it is right now. We as clan leaders can work with it by telling our players how to look at the status of a clan match and figure it out for themselfs before they accept or offer any draws. It really is just a little common sense.
    We as clan leaders just need to make sure that new clan members that are new to RHP and the clan system know how to check the status of a clan match in progress and figure it out for themselfs.

It took me awhile to figure out what and where all the links were here at RHP when I first joined. And I think that's what happened in this case. A newbie who didn't know what they were doing and they got suckered.
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    19 Jun '07 12:22
    Originally posted by trevor33
    why don't you tell your clan members to look at the challenge situation before thinking about accepting/offering draws?

i never cared enough to tell anyone myself but usually looked at my on challenges before deciding on any potential draws, it should be common sense to do whatever's right for your clan in the challenges. i can remember drawing a few games that i was up in just to end them because the challenge was won.
    why don't you tell your clan members to look at the challenge situation before thinking about accepting/offering draws?

Well that is what i'm going to do now. Before I didn't think I had to. And with most I didn't have to explain it. But...... As you said it really is just a little common sense.
    I also have taken or offered draws in games were the clan match was already won or lost. Even if I was up.
    But I wouldn't accept a draw in a game even if I'm down if the clan match is riding on that game. Unless I know forsure i'm going to lose.
  3. Under Cover
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 18:441 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It's my opinion that if you have something come up you resign, and don't beg for a draw. There is something wrong with it... it's my opinion. You don't have to agree if you feel differently, but in my opinion you are wrong to ask for the draw.

What does the other player owe you because you can't play your game?

P-
    No, there isn't anything wrong with it. It isn't against the rules, and it isn't even rude. There's no logical basis for suggesting that it is wrong. You have the option at any point in a game to ask for a draw. Asking once is not begging. I agree that there is something wrong with it if you make repeated draw offers that have been rejected, but to simply ask for a draw in an otherwise even game is perfectly acceptable. Like I said, if someone asks you for a draw, it is also perfectly acceptable for you to refuse to grant it. As you point out, nobody owes you the draw. However, players can mutually agree to a draw, or resign, at any point in a game, unless the board position ends the game for them. Just because you would not entertain their offer doesn't mean that they were wrong for asking.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid
    No, there isn't anything wrong with it. It isn't against the rules, and it isn't even rude. There's no logical basis for suggesting that it is wrong. You have the option at any point in a game to ask for a draw. Asking once is not begging. I agree that there is something wrong with it if you make repeated draw offers that have been rejected, but to sim ...[text shortened]... t because you would not entertain their offer doesn't mean that they were wrong for asking.
    Read my post again, I guess.

Read it REAL slow if it helps.

P-
  5. Under Cover
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 20:332 edits
    Read my post again, I guess.

Read it REAL slow if it helps.

P-
    Your post made an assertion that in your opinion such actions are wrong, then ended in a question. I countered your opinion with my own, and then answered the question. Are you having difficulty understanding something, or are you simply the only person entitled to posting an opinion here? Please do your best to not show your arrogance if you reply.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 00:26
    Your post made an assertion that in your opinion such actions are wrong, then ended in a question. I countered your opinion with my own, and then answered the question. Are you having difficulty understanding something, or are you simply the only person entitled to posting an opinion here? Please do your best to not show your arrogance if you reply.
    It is my opinion, as I stated. You didn't say it was your opinion.

It still boils down to "Why" would someone ask for a draw, especially in a lost game because they claim they won't be able to move.

I would NEVER ask someone for a draw because I wasn't going to be able to finish a game in a set amount of time.

I guess the real question is... would you? Would you?

P-
  7. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 02:502 edits
    It is my opinion, as I stated. You didn't say it was your opinion.

It still boils down to "Why" would someone ask for a draw, especially in a lost game because they claim they won't be able to move.

I would NEVER ask someone for a draw because I wasn't going to be able to finish a game in a set amount of time.

I guess the real question is... would you? Would you?

P-
    No, I didn't say that it was my opinion. But, since I was the person making the post, it isn't too difficult to assume that what was being posted was my opinion...who else's would it be? 😕 No, the question is not whether I would ask for a draw if I were going to be unable to make a move. If that were the question, the answer would be "yes" if the game were relatively even, and "no" if I were down material with no compensation. If I did I'd have no expectation of the request being honored and wouldn't be at all upset if it wasn't, but would appreciate if it was.
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:09
    No, I didn't say that it was my opinion. But, since I was the person making the post, it isn't too difficult to assume that what was being posted was my opinion...who else's would it be? 😕 No, the question is not whether I would ask for a draw if I were going to be unable to make a move. If that were the question, the answer would be "yes" if the game were r ...[text shortened]... ing honored and wouldn't be at all upset if it wasn't, but would appreciate if it was.
    For God's sake drop it. This has gotten way off the topic. Will you two just agree that you disagree. I'm having memories of my ex-wife reading your posts. UGH!
    I use to love her but I had to kill her... la, la, la! Great song. Guns and Roses. 🙂
  9. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 15:52
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    For God's sake drop it. This has gotten way off the topic. Will you two just agree that you disagree. I'm having memories of my ex-wife reading your posts. UGH!
    I use to love her but I had to kill her... la, la, la! Great song. Guns and Roses. 🙂
    That is a great song.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 16:22
    That is a great song.
    Man, he just blasted us... I was just looking forward to a rousing round of "Last Word"!

P-
  11. Under Cover
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 16:52
    Man, he just blasted us... I was just looking forward to a rousing round of "Last Word"!

P-
    I know, who the !@#$ is he to interrupt our childishness?!
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 18:08
    I know, who the !@#$ is he to interrupt our childishness?!
    🙄 lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree