1. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 18:15
    Can anyone tell me what the "opponent's rating" indicates, and how it is arrived at? Thanks.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 19:30
    Everyone here has a rating. It lets us know how well a player plays chess, and where we stand compared to them. You and I are rated near the same, but my rating could be higher or lower, as yours could also.

It's just a generalization to indicate to others how well we may play chess.

Here is how a rating is calculated, and more info in the FAQ about ratings if you want to read up.

FAQ
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 18:50
    Hi, thanks for that. I understand how a player's rating is calculated, but underneath it says opponent's rating, which is different from the player's rating. It is the opponent's rating that I don't understand. e.g. is it one opponent's rating, or an average of all the opponent's ratings of the games being played at the moment, or an average of all the games played? Thanks for your patience.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 19:01
    Originally posted by Galabad
    Hi, thanks for that. I understand how a player's rating is calculated, but underneath it says opponent's rating, which is different from the player's rating. It is the opponent's rating that I don't understand. e.g. is it one opponent's rating, or an average of all the opponent's ratings of the games being played at the moment, or an average of all the games played? Thanks for your patience.
    Are you talking about your profile? E.g.

Game id 4241906
    Player's rating 1385
    Opponent's rating 1407
    Game date 14 Dec '07

It shows your opponent's rating at the end of the game in question (i.e. the rating used to calculate both your and xyr new rating). If you hover your mouse over a different game in your graph, you'll see the game id, ratings and date for that game.

I hope this helps.
  5. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 23:42
    Originally posted by Galabad
    As Nordlys says,
    If you look at the graph on your own profile page, then the 'players rating' is the rating for the highlighted game and the 'opponents rating' is the rating of who you were playing. Both of these numbers are the rating at the time of the game - not your/their current rating.
    By default the game details shown are for the last game played (which may not be highlighted), but if you move the mouse pointer over the graph, then the details of each game appear, with the graph point being highlighted in a lovely bright green.
  6. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 11:20
    All is explained and understood. Many thanks, your wisdom is much appreciated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree