1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 18:53
    I find it amazing that someone can play on this site for 4 years, make over 24,000 moves and not know the basic rules of the game.
    I hope he's heard of "en passant"!!!
  2. In your face
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 21:27
    Originally posted by venda
    I find it amazing that someone can play on this site for 4 years, make over 24,000 moves and not know the basic rules of the game.
    I hope he's heard of "en passant"!!!
    "En what?"
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    28 Jun '12 22:44
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    "En what?"
    Et tu attempte a wind me up mon ami?
    Bet u didn't savee je could parlez fluent Francais!!!
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 14:44
    Originally posted by Yroyathon
    i accept that this draw tactic is within the rules of the game, this website, or both. (part of me wonders, how far back this particular rule goes historically, I'll do some reading)
    Perhaps you should have done some reading before you played somebody else in chess?

Opinions vary, though.

Yes. And the official opinion from FIDE (heard of them, buddy?) is that if you can't accept the rules, the game for you is tiddlywinks, not chess.

Richard
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 16:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Ah, but wait until you are behind and can force a draw... it's a thrilling feeling. Chess is like war, if you can sink your enemies ships in harbor or bomb their planes on the runway do you think, "No, that wouldn't be nice, what a cheap thing to do".

The other player forced a draw in a game you could have won. There is NOTHING cheap about it and it ...[text shortened]... ng attention and learning are important, and using every advantage at your disposal.

P-
    this is good advice.

Thanks.
    ,Y
  6. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 16:58
    thanks everyone who suggested I should've completely read up on all rules and technicalities on the game of chess before having played my very first game when I was 8 and getting killed by my dad, because I'm sure that's what you all did too. You have all read all books everywhere detailing the finest points of the game, and you did so before ever playing one game. Chess is a learning experience, but I guess what you're saying is that all that learning was supposed to occur before my first game.

I'll take all the good advice printed here (there were several posts) and think hard about how to change my perspective. For all the rest of what's written here, I'll toss it in the trash bin where online personalities acting out in forums goes.

This thread can be closed, there probably won't be anything of value posted in the future.

,Y
  7. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 19:36
    thanks everyone who suggested I should've completely read up on all rules and technicalities on the game of chess before having played my very first game when I was 8 and getting killed by my dad, because I'm sure that's what you all did too. You have all read all books everywhere detailing the finest points of the game, and you did so before ever playing ...[text shortened]... ead can be closed, there probably won't be anything of value posted in the future.

,Y
    Lol, that's a good post !!
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Jun '12 20:12
    thanks everyone who suggested I should've completely read up on all rules and technicalities on the game of chess before having played my very first game when I was 8 and getting killed by my dad, because I'm sure that's what you all did too. You have all read all books everywhere detailing the finest points of the game, and you did so before ever playing ...[text shortened]... ead can be closed, there probably won't be anything of value posted in the future.

,Y
    I doubt anyone here read every book on chess before playing it, but also didn't cry foul when learning a new rule of the game like stalemate, en passant or castling out of or through check.

So it was pretty much your attitude about about a rule you didn't know and your defiance of it that got anyone going. Love it, live it... when you finally use your new found knowledge to avoid a lost game you'll see it's value. Don't tell me you vow never to use this rule to force a draw, or I'll cry.

P-
  9. In your face
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 00:151 edit
    thanks everyone who suggested I should've completely read up on all rules and technicalities on the game of chess before having played my very first game when I was 8 and getting killed by my dad, because I'm sure that's what you all did too. You have all read all books everywhere detailing the finest points of the game, and you did so before ever playing ead can be closed, there probably won't be anything of value posted in the future.

,Y
    Wow. Like the way you took things out of context. The point that certain people made wasn't that everyone who plays chess should learn every intricacy of the game before hand. It was that if you play a game without learning the rules, you can't complain if you don't know them. You're attitude stinks man. You played a game without knowing all the rules and then complained because someone used a tactic of the rules that you didn't know about. Then you tried to insult the person who played by these rules just because they beat you.

Nowt else to say about it without losing my cool.

I am coool 😲)
  10. In your face
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 00:16
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Lol, that's a good post !!
    NO ITS RUBISH!
  11. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 02:43

,Y
    Playing a dozen or so games without knowing the rules is acceptable. Playing hundreds and then complaining when it turns out that there's a rule you didn't know about is not. How the difference escapes you is beyond my understanding.
  12. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 02:44
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    NO ITS RUBISH!
    Spoil sport 😉 ...but I'm still thinking his comment was particularly well 'placed' with regard to this neck of the posting woods;
    ''I'll take all the good advice printed here (there were several posts) and think hard about how to change my perspective. For all the rest of what's written here, I'll toss it in the trash bin where online personalities acting out in forums goes.''
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 16:48
    thanks everyone who suggested I should've completely read up on all rules and technicalities on the game of chess before having played my very first game when I was 8 and getting killed by my dad, because I'm sure that's what you all did too.
    Nobody did that. We suggested that you should read up on the full official rules - of which there are fewer than you seem to think, and yet more than you know of - before coming onto an international site where those official rules are in effect, and then playing games against a stranger. And most of all, we suggested that you not whine when someone knows these rules more completely than you do.

Or, to be brief about it: your ignorance is your fault, and not your opponents'.

Richard
  14. Joined
    21 Jul '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 11:05
    When you are a good player and find yourself in this position - two pieces down - you will be thinking only of a way to force a draw.. It is part of the game not to allow this. He has done nothing at all underhand - it was your mistake entirely. With experience you will sometimes judge your win unlikely, and start to play for a draw early. Almost as difficult as winning - worthy chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree