1. Joined
    22 Aug '10
    Moves
    11 Mar '13 20:32
    An opponent won't resign even though he's down to just his king vs. several of my pieces. It seems that he's just stopped playing and possibly plays a move after a long time to delay the inevitable. I looked into his other games and he has several games in similar position. Any rules against this kind of thing for poor sportsmanship?
  2. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    11 Mar '13 22:27
    Originally posted by hongili
    An opponent won't resign even though he's down to just his king vs. several of my pieces. It seems that he's just stopped playing and possibly plays a move after a long time to delay the inevitable. I looked into his other games and he has several games in similar position. Any rules against this kind of thing for poor sportsmanship?
    No, there are no rules against this sort of thing. There will always be players who will moan about their opponent not playing to rules that suits the moaner. This player has not stopped playing. In fact he has not used any of his timebank, which tells me he has moved every time within three days.If you are not prepared to wait three days for a move do not play three day timeout games.
  3. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    11 Mar '13 23:12
    Well, fully 90% of his drawn games are played as White...likewise numbers are present given 50 odd of his 68 timeout wins whilst with the same colour...I don;t think it's rocket science to suggest he's holding out for 'something' here, even if it does brass-you-off in the meantime lol...
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 14:11
    Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of timebank use which I have no problem with. It's more about sportsmanship. Thanks for your thought.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 14:16
    Thanks for the comment R. Perhaps I should do research into players' previous games before accepting challenges. This is the kind of stuff I looked to avoid in playing on this site. I've never heard the phrase brass-you-off but your spelling of "colour" makes me think we're not from the same parts. 🙂 Thanks again.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 01:33
    Rules such as...?

...right. I thought not.
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 10:09
    That's because we spell colour correctly.

🙂😀😉😵😲
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 10:31
    Thanks for the comment R. Perhaps I should do research into players' previous games before accepting challenges. This is the kind of stuff I looked to avoid in playing on this site. I've never heard the phrase brass-you-off but your spelling of "colour" makes me think we're not from the same parts. 🙂 Thanks again.
    I think you have to check what you can with any potential opposition, certainly I'd have thought it essential if limited to 6games as a non subscriber...it could save you a lot of time 'weeding out' lots of time wasters here. Certainly new members are pretty reliant upon the 'open invite', initially I think that's what we're most aware of when seeking a few games here.
    So, if we took just a minute to check out how often a similarly rated potential opponent moves, or the likelihood of them only playing the one colour, getting timed out consistently, etc etc, we would probably have a far more positive initial experience here. Certainly we can immediately check all available statistics that stare right at us once we click on their profile. Take a few more minutes studying those stats and we can build a fairly decent picture of pretty much an player we may come into contact with....however, most new members will inevitably play likewise new members, and we're reminded of just how keen some of us really are when confronted with players that readily set up their maximum 6games, make a couple of moves in each game but then disappear as quickly as they arrived. Even if you've acquainted yourself with all the '' FAQ '' there is still the sometimes long wait to time them out IF they've made more of an effort and played 3moves lol....but more often than not, people don;t bother, and there are NUMEROUS monthly questions here as to 'why does the site say I'm playing six games when I only have five active ?' The answer is THAT game, the one where the game had barely started but the board was never returned....all those months ago and you've been stuck on five allowable games for all that time, it just sits there waiting for you to delete it... 😉
    So yes, read those 'FAQ's' straight on sign up, click on each persons profile that is offering an open invite...their stats present 'sometimes' tell that an entirely different game is being played here after all 🙂

Yes, apologies for the spelling(s)...I'm 'foreign' 😉
  9. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 10:49
    I wish there was a way for established players here to offer games to p1200s to encourage them not to wander off because they get the odd dud. I've suggested it several times before. Open Invites doesn't work because I've tried - I put "p1200 player only please" but it's always ignored.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 13:33
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I wish there was a way for established players here to offer games to p1200s to encourage them not to wander off because they get the odd dud. I've suggested it several times before. Open Invites doesn't work because I've tried - I put "p1200 player only please" but it's always ignored.
    Does it work if you set the rating range for an open invite to '1199-1201'?
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 13:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Does it work if you set the rating range for an open invite to '1199-1201'?
    No, because provisional players are excluded from games where rating limits have been specified. I have tested that statement in the past.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree