1. Joined
    25 Nov '04
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 23:44
    I have come across a number of players lately that have a very large number of games going, and they are letting them all timeout. The result of this is that their rating is decreasing, which would allow them to enter tourneys that they are more likely to win.

Am I on the right track here with this idea?

a
  2. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 12:17
    It is of course possible. But since the highest rating of the last 30 days is considered to let people enter tournaments, they have to wait 30 days for the new rating too 'kick in'.

Did the players you talk about actually enter a tournament?

I don't know what the official site rule about this is, but if you want to know or want something to be done about this, send feedback.

Adje
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 13:04
    The problem of players entering tournaments not suited for their rating is known to the site admin and solutions are being worked on.
    However, I don't think there are actually players out there timing out games on purpose so they can enter low banded tournaments. I mean, you don't exactly gain much by doing it.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 13:21
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The problem of players entering tournaments not suited for their rating is known to the site admin and solutions are being worked on.
    However, I don't think there are actually players out there timing out games on purpose so they can enter low banded tournaments. I mean, you don't exactly gain much by doing it.
    I agree. Most of the players are serious.

But if you really want to win a tournament, do like this:
    (1) Start a heavy tournament with many players.
    (2) Play 10 moves or so (otherwise your intention is too obvious), and then take long vacancy, minimum 4 weeks (longer is better so it is not soo obvious) without saing so. After a numerous time outs your down to under 999 points.
    (3) Join a banded tournament and collect the wins and eventually the tournament victory.

But what kind of victory do you have?
    A High prestigous one? No.
    Something you can be proud of? No.
    Does it boosting your ego? No.
    What a victory is it? A worthless one.

Who would do such a thing? Well, not most of us. But some anyway.

I would welcome very much an effort to put a stop of this kind of behavior. But I honestly don't know how. In the above scenario there can be a reasons to do this, personal reasons, like being hospitalized after a car accident or something.

Perhaps on solution is to have two ratings. One as it is now, and another one where timeouts and early resigning is not included. But I don't think this really is practical.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 14:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Does it boosting your ego? No.
    it might, you don't know the answer to that question.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 14:25
    Originally posted by trevor33
    it might, you don't know the answer to that question.
    Perhaps the question should be "Does it boost my ego?" And then the answer would be, for sure, no.

How do I know that?
    When I was a boy, learning to swim, there was a special medal for 25 meters swimming. But I tip toed on the bottom. I got my medal, but I was not proud of it.
    Later on, I swam the 25 meters so I knew for myself that I really could, but the value of the medal itself was not worth very much.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 15:19
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps the question should be "Does it boost my ego?" And then the answer would be, for sure, no.

How do I know that?
    When I was a boy, learning to swim, there was a special medal for 25 meters swimming. But I tip toed on the bottom. I got my medal, but I was not proud of it.
    Later on, I swam the 25 meters so I knew for myself that I really could, but the value of the medal itself was not worth very much.
    people are different, while you might not have valued your medal another boy who also tip toed might have valued his medal. what i'm trying to say is that for some people kicking ass in a lower banded tourney than their own might boast their ego just like taking "candy" from a baby might boast a complete idiots ego.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 15:21
    Originally posted by trevor33
    people are different, while you might not have valued your medal another boy who also tip toed might have valued his medal. what i'm trying to say is that for some people kicking ass in a lower banded tourney than their own might boast their ego just like taking "candy" from a baby might boast a complete idiots ego.
    And if I may answer the question from my point of view. My ego dosn't get boosted by having an easy win.
    For others, perhaps. For me, no.

And this is just my opinion. Others opinion is as good as mine, even if they differ.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree