1. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 16:01
    Hi all,

Is this possible? I have the BlackBerry Curve and would like to use it to play while away from my computer.

Thanks!

John
  2. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    08 Jul '09 16:04
    http://mobile.redhotpawn.com

Or maybe try the iPhone version:

http://iphone.redhotpawn.com
  3. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 00:49
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    http://mobile.redhotpawn.com

Or maybe try the iPhone version:

http://iphone.redhotpawn.com
    Wow.

That works much better than the full web version....

Thanks!

-J
  4. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:24
    This seems the most recent blackberry thread, so I hope it's ok to bump it to the top of the list with a query.

I have blackberry pearl 8110 (OS 4.5), and have not been able to duplicate the success I've read is possible. I've tried the native BB browser - can view the board, but cannot select pieces to specify a move. Tried Opera Mini (v5) - cannot view the board.

Two questions:
    * For those people using a bbry, what browser/version are you having success with? Any specific settings? (I did notice that in the bb browser, I had to turn the cursor off in order to access the my games / board style / game history / message log items, but this didn't get me any closer to selecting pieces).

* For RHP, a possible solution would be to add a text field in which to type the move you want for when the javascript board controls don't work?

Dave
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:50
    Originally posted by dsb3
    This seems the most recent blackberry thread, so I hope it's ok to bump it to the top of the list with a query.

I have blackberry pearl 8110 (OS 4.5), and have not been able to duplicate the success I've read is possible. I've tried the native BB browser - can view the board, but cannot select pieces to specify a move. Tried Opera Mini (v5) - cannot view t ...[text shortened]... hich to type the move you want for when the javascript board controls don't work?

Dave
    The "mobile" version of the site (actually just the normal site with no ads and using the old legacy board interface) will be replaced with a proper light weight feature limited mobile interface - with text entry.

The recent update to the site put the pieces in place to make this happen.

On a related note, the iPhone site will get an update shortly too as the framework we use has hit its next major version.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '09
    Moves
    19 Nov '09 18:55
    I have the Curve, and can't select my piece to move. After reading this thread, and going to the mobile site I could at least see the board. Reread the thread and it seems the latest info is that the upgrades to make playing from a BB are in the works but not ready for use? I already had one player delete a game, and now I may miss out on another. a clear answer would be a great help.
  7. Joined
    26 Jul '09
    Moves
    30 Nov '09 08:53
    Originally posted by Kaghn
    I have the Curve, and can't select my piece to move. After reading this thread, and going to the mobile site I could at least see the board. Reread the thread and it seems the latest info is that the upgrades to make playing from a BB are in the works but not ready for use? I already had one player delete a game, and now I may miss out on another. a clear answer would be a great help.
    I've been using my blackberry curve 8330 to play for a ong time now- here's my personal favs and its not the mobile site-
    opera5- no dice. at least not in beta.
    opera4.x - pretty much all good. i set board preferences to legacy and small or micro size board and let the eye strain begin!! (also setting opera to a socket connection seems to minimize some of the load lag- for my area anyways)
    but if I'm in a good reception area, the browser that seems to understand what the RHP site is trying to do, (as far as the whole squares-lighting-up stuff) is:
    BOLT - the Bolt browser, although at times a bit of a dog in outlying or rural areas where reception is spotty, is my new "go-to" browser. It does NOT need to reload the whole page every time you select a piece to move like opera does, saving tons of time! Also, the magnification settings on the bolt browser give you the most desktop-like layout of the page, whereas opera just decides to cut it off arbitrarily somewhere over.... there, leaving you to guess where the buttons should be.
    well, hope that helps.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '09 02:03
    I am on my 8900, and scince I installed the new opera mini rhp has been at my fingertips (sweet)
  9. Brooklyn, NY
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:29
    It's a royal pain to have to switch from modern to legacy board to get any blackberry functionality. Perhaps we could have different board preferences based on what URL we visit? So, if I visit regular RHP I get my modern browser board. If I visit mobile.rhp I get a mini/legacy board?

Pretty please.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    05 Jan '10 00:382 edits
    I have a BB Curve 8350i and am able to play at the mobile site using BB OS version 4.6.1.313 and Omni Mini 4.2. Haven't tried Bolt yet. It's great to be able to check out your games while you're on the go.

If Russ is listening, it would be nice to have a "You have X games waiting" link at the bottom of the page like you do at the top to reduce having to scroll the screen while you're killing time in the forums waiting for a move. Also the the ability to flip the board would be cool, and I can't seem to get the in-game messages to work. Maybe Bolt will fix that.

Edit: Oh, and move notifications via text message or Twitter DM's would be lovely. 🙂
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    10 Jan '10 03:48
    I'm able to play on my BB 8530 on the mobile site. The only thing that is goofy is I have to adjust my browser by zooming in or out once or twice to get the board right. Once that is done it actually plays fine. Some of the functionality is off but I can play on my lunch at work.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree