1. Joined
    13 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '12 21:42
    Problems loading pages for last 2 weeks now, it seems to be running ok for a while and then sometimes a page times-out. Hitting refresh button then makes page load instantly. I'm not having the same problem on any other website. Could be wrong but I don't think it's a problem with my pc or my internet.
  2. Joined
    18 Jun '11
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 08:37
    i try to start anew game with my friend ben de kleijnen and am told he is already playing his self imposed limit. He is however only playing 2 games plese explain
  3. Joined
    18 Jun '11
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 08:42
    since I changed my email address i do not get my friend games notified when he makes a move he has entered the right address ..
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:421 edit
    BUMP !!
    Driving me mad this, games taking 5mins to load and the forum even longer...'sometimes' hitting refresh whilst it's loading miraculously speeds the process up, but something is definitely amiss here..
    EDIT: I use different computers, one is logged in permanently to this site from my home in Dorset, S.W England, a laptop and a mobile device I use whilst out and about in the S.W during the week days..the mobile seems to be functioning far better, why is this as surely it can't be a regional issue with regard to the server ?

Whilst I'm here, what is this message I've been receiving today, is this a security verification issue ? 'My connection to RHP is not encrypted', 'first visit to RHP 31 Dec 2011', and the last message disappeared too quickly but I think 'no certificate for this site' ...
  5. Los Angeles
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 21:32
    Originally posted by taipei5200
    Very rarely have I had any problems ( 5 years ) Works fast for me.
    Jumped the gun. In the last week slowed down considerably.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 09:18
    The last few days it's been unbearably slow. Like, go away and make some coffee, come back and I might be able to make a move.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 09:481 edit
    Things aren't improving here either. I keep checking the modem, assuming the internet connection has fallen over, but no, it's just RHP running at tortoise speed as usual. This has been going on for weeks ...
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 15:34
    I'm listening guys. I'll take a good look at this and try to rectify ASAP.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 18:151 edit
    Update: It appears someone has been effectively attacking the site with endless requests, possibly the attacker is doing this innocently unaware of the problems they are causing, but it could also be malicious. (scraping game data). Either way, we will need to prevent this behaviour in future as it almost certainly the cause of the recent slowness of the site. I will need to investigate further.
  10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Mar '12 19:32
    Originally posted by Russ
    Update: It appears someone has been effectively attacking the site with endless requests, possibly the attacker is doing this innocently unaware of the problems they are causing, but it could also be malicious. (scraping game data). Either way, we will need to prevent this behaviour in future as it almost certainly the cause of the recent slowness of the site. I will need to investigate further.
    Just for your reference, 'they've' been doing it for some time then, perhaps..perhaps they are unrelated but I have reference to the site first doing this in May last year, '3mins to load my games, forum hopping is annoying as even slower.' The comments were made in-game after the recipient asked me if I'd be experiencing similar.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Mar '12 09:40
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Just for your reference, 'they've' been doing it for some time then, perhaps..perhaps they are unrelated but I have reference to the site first doing this in May last year, '3mins to load my games, forum hopping is annoying as even slower.' The comments were made in-game after the recipient asked me if I'd be experiencing similar.
    I agree that there are times when the site doesn't perform as it should - and forum issues in particular (under load) are a known problem - but any recent general performance issues are almost certainly down to the behaviour mentioned above.
  12. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    11 Mar '12 08:16
    Been using an iPad and a Mac for over two years on RHP. Hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that here in Sevenoaks, Kent NEVER had any problems...............
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 23:11
    You're one of the lucky ones then. The system's not well at the moment.
  14. In your face
    Moves
    18 Mar '12 00:01
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    You're one of the lucky ones then. The system's not well at the moment.
    Hmm. I thought it was just me. I've mentioned it in the forums in the past and most people's answer is 'clear your cache'. Not as simple as that. It seems to hang on certain threads, pages or links. You can acces other parts of the site fine but certain ones just make you wait and wait.

It did this years ago then Russ upgraded and it all seemed fine. Now it seems to be slipping again. :o(
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Mar '12 00:33
    Forum pages are noticeably slower than the playing page, for me, and Russ has said that too. Having said that, it's worst when both US and Europe are active, very good during our afternoon when neither big group is playing. Maybe it's time for more grunt at the server end.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree