1. Joined
    19 May '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 21:03
    Hi,

Every now and then, I get a challenge from someone I've never played before. I did not have any open invites created. I'm pretty ordinary so why would people select me?

Do they see recent games? Do they search for players with a certain mvoe frequency?

I don't mind at all. I'm just curious as to how this selection process is made.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 03:511 edit
    If you want to play now, you can use Find Player (is online now) to get a list of people near your rating who have made a move in the last 10 minutes. Some people like to play a variety of opponents once or twice, so it's a reasonably effective method. I've used this method regularly when I feel myself getting stale from playing the same few people.

The random challengers are often non-subscribers. If you've paid up you can have a clan leader finding you games, of course.
  3. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 14:15
    Originally posted by BrooHa
    Hi,

Every now and then, I get a challenge from someone I've never played before.
    I don't mind at all. I'm just curious as to how this selection process is made.

Thanks in advance.
    When I feel that I ought to be playing stronger opponents, I sometimes go to the rating list and choose someone with a rating say 40 points higher than mine.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 15:04
    Originally posted by BrooHa
    Every now and then, I get a challenge from someone I've never played before. I did not have any open invites created. I'm pretty ordinary so why would people select me?

Do they see recent games? Do they search for players with a certain mvoe frequency?
    I can't speak for other people who do this, but I almost always challenge non-invitation players myself. Why? Well, in my case it's rather trivial: I'm collecting flags. I'm trying to play a game against someone from each "country" on RHP. (And yes, I know one's flag selection is arbitrary and may not be accurate. That's not really the point.)
    From each country, I try to find someone whose move frequency is roughly appropriate for me, and whose rating is not too far from mine, and challenge that player. I can't find someone for each c ountry, and not everybody accepts my challenge, so at some point I may have to loosen my criteria. For now, though, it works.

Richard
  5. Joined
    20 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '10 20:05
    That's a nice idea. How many flags have you collected so far? Do you tick them off regardless of the result, or only if you win the game?

Another way to choose opponents is to use the "Recommend Opponent" button under the New Game tab, which will offer you a selection of people to challenge. I don't know if this is entirely random or if there's some sort of algorithm behind it.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '10 19:20
    Originally posted by Folderer
    That's a nice idea. How many flags have you collected so far? Do you tick them off regardless of the result, or only if you win the game?

Another way to choose opponents is to use the "Recommend Opponent" button under the New Game tab, which will offer you a selection of people to challenge. I don't know if this is entirely random or if there's some sort of algorithm behind it.
    42 flags, including "none". I don't play very quickly... but I'll get there, eventually. Honest, guv'.
    I count all games, including losses, but I do keep note of which I lost or drew, and which I only won because my opponent bailed out after half a dozen moves. When (if!) I ever bag the lot, I''ll start over until I win one real game against every country.
    Yes, this is a long-term project. I still have the time.

I don't know how "Recommend Opponent" works, either, but it seems rather random to me.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree