Ratings

Standard memberPauline Calf
Help 03 Apr '05 14:18
  1. UK
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 14:18
    If you've got some games that are coming to an end, is it better to resign your losing ones before or after completing the winning ones?

ie for any given rating of opponent is it best for your rating to lose and then win, or win then loose - or does it make no dofference at all?
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '04
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 15:03
    With all due respect ,it is best not to focus on your rating at all.In the long run it is not going to make any difference what you do.
    Your rating will be what it will be and any minor manipulations you attempt will not change that,so don't waste time trying.Ignore the rating and it will take care of itself.Focus on your rating and it will ruin your enjoyment of the game.
  3. UK
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 17:07
    OK - I can see the sense in that! Thanks for replying
  4. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    03 Apr '05 17:16
    Originally posted by Pauline Calf
    OK - I can see the sense in that! Thanks for replying
    I fully support the reply given above. The ratings don't matter that much. But to answer your question technically: it is better to resign lost games first, because that will increase the difference in rating with your opponent in the games you will win, and give you more points than in the reverse case. On top of that, it is much more pleasant for your opponent when you don't drag games that are lost, but either resign or play them out quickly.
  5. Joined
    12 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:06
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    I fully support the reply given above. The ratings don't matter that much. But to answer your question technically: it is better to resign lost games first, because that will increase the difference in rating with your opponent in the games you will win, and give you more points than in the reverse case. On top of that, it is much more pleasant for your opponent when you don't drag games that are lost, but either resign or play them out quickly.
    I agree with you about focussing on the game; and also with the advice about resigning first.
    The only wrinkle with this (if you are truly obsessed with ratings) is if you can see that your opponent is about to win/loose other games which would affect his/her rating. But you have to be really obsessive to do that and the time is much better spent thinking about games.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I wouldn't worry about that, seems to post once a year?!

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/search.php?authorname=Thuriaux

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree