1. Standard membermathemos
    The Vorlon
    Papillion, Nebraska
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 16:001 edit
    Originally posted by hon_monster
    I think it would be a good idea if it could be done.

We've all probably done it in non-competitive, friendly games and isn't this what this site is?
    Of course I have no idea whether this is technically possible, or if it would just be too complicated.
    If both players agree it can in effect be done now. All that's necessary is for them to restart their current game as a set-up game, set up just prior to the move one player wants to take back.

But if it's a rated game -- and not one, say in teaching mode -- and one is asked to let his opponent "take back a move" as described above it seems only fair to ask him to resign before proceeding with a set-up game from that position.

Otherwise it would be a bit like playing tennis with the net down. 😀
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 16:59
    Originally posted by mathemos
    If both players agree it can in effect be done now. All that's necessary is for them to restart their current game as a set-up game, set up just prior to the move one player wants to take back.

But if it's a rated game -- and not one, say in teaching mode -- and one is asked to let his opponent "take back a move" as described above it seems only fair to ...[text shortened]... rom that position.

Otherwise it would be a bit like playing tennis with the net down. 😀
    You realize this thread is near 3 years old? You really went deep!

P-
  3. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 21:34
    Originally posted by hon_monster
    I think it would be a good idea if it could be done.

The whole point of a "take-back" is to undo a move that you've made. This could be in a game with a real board and pieces, or on a computer. The fact that you have to "confirm" a move by clicking a button on this site makes no difference. Each time you pick up a piece and move it in real-life y ...[text shortened]... idea whether this is technically possible, or if it would just be too complicated.
    You really play with take-backs? I've never heard of that. Letting go of a piece means your turn is over. Maybe it's a local thing.
  4. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    26 Aug '06 21:35
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You realize this thread is near 3 years old? You really went deep!

P-
    Great! Am I going to be in trouble for posting on an old thread???
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 00:18
    Originally posted by skeeter
    You cannot be serious!

The prospect of a "take back move" facility wether ur opponent agrees to it or not is simply ridiculous. In OTB play the tournament rule is 'if you touch it then you move it" - illegal moves and je dube excepted.

This is a serious chess site and where possibly the normal play rules should apply and if the MAP and POTM wannabe's ...[text shortened]... he playing format.

Thats the female perspective on this

BR's Skeeter

Hey look it's skeeter being mean to a newbie!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree