1. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 01:34
    I sent an analysis to someone in PM which included the following parenthetical note:

(21...Qxa2?? 22.Qc6+ Kd8 23.Bc7+ Kc8 24.Bb6+ Kb8 25.Qc7 mate)

except that I used a pound-sign to indicate mate, and the RHP editor automatically turned the pound/right-parenthesis combination into a goofy emoticon.

Please fix the editor so that this sort of automatic substitution cannot occur.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 02:21
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    I sent an analysis to someone in PM which included the following parenthetical note:

except that I used a pound-sign to indicate mate, and the RHP editor automatically turned the pound/right-parenthesis combination into a goofy emoticon.

Dear Mark Adkins

Thank you for pointing this bug out to us. Rest assured we will deal with it forthwith.

thank you for you feedback

ps. Why did you use the pound sign to indicate mate?
  3. UK
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 09:48
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

ps. Why did you use the pound sign to indicate mate?
    I expect he means the traditional # sign normally used to indicate mate, which is - for reasons I do not quite understand - known as the "pound sign" in the US, rather than the actual £ sign which we would recognise in the UK.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 10:05
    Australians call it a "hash" symbol.

Yet another word meaning different things in different countries.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 11:19
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    Australians call it a "hash" symbol.

Yet another word meaning different things in different countries.
    This poem wouldn't rhyme if you call the hash "pound":

< > ! * ' ' #
    ^ " ` $ $ -
    ! * = @ $ _
    % * < > ~ # 4
    & [ ] . . /
    | { , , SYSTEM HALTED

Those auto-smileys are quite annoying. They also sometimes appear in URLs.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 11:292 edits
    Originally posted by mrmist
    I expect he means the traditional # sign normally used to indicate mate, which is - for reasons I do not quite understand - known as the "pound sign" in the US, rather than the actual £ sign which we would recognise in the UK.
    In the US we use the dollar as our monetary unit, so the pound sign "#" is not being used to refer to a monetary unit but is referring to weight. For example, if something weights 25 pounds, you could write it as 25#. I'm not sure it's used all that much as a substitute for "pounds".

At least I don't see it in use that much, but then I live a sheltered life.

edit) And speaking of words having different meanings, we haven't even heard what that particular symbol means to the musical community.
  7. Leeds
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 16:35
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    In the US we use the dollar as our monetary unit, so the pound sign "#" is not being used to refer to a monetary unit but is referring to weight. For example, if something weights 25 pounds, you could write it as 25#. I'm not sure it's used all that much as a substitute for "pounds".

At least I don't see it in use that much, but then I live a shelter ...[text shortened]... nings, we haven't even heard what that particular symbol means to the musical community.
    The pound sign is £. # this is the hash key.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 22:161 edit
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins

(21...Qxa2?? 22.Qc6+ Kd8 23.Bc7+ Kc8 24.Bb6+ Kb8 25.Qc7# )

It's annoying, but a space fixes these problems.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree