1. London
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 12:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Sorry to hear you've had some poor manners from some of my countrymen [or women] I can only say, we are not all like that. I always reply to a message, unless I haven't seen it of course.
    Sorry, I apologise for my harsh words in my earlier post, I did not put my thoughts across very well. I hope I have not offended any of you. 😳
    I know that you are not all like that and I come accross people with good old-fashioned manners every day, in "real life" (outside RHP). I love the British and I have chosen to live here after all 🙂

I feel I ought to explain what I meant by "I can't say I'm surprised as I've got used to their ways" as it sounds really bad!!

In France, we just have a slightly different way of communicating with others; we are more communicative with strangers, we acknowledge our interlocutors, we address them using their title: any foreigner who has been to a French supermarket or ordered a train ticket in France will have noticed that:

a) the person at the checkout will have made eye contact (acknowledging your interlocutor)
    b) they will have greeted you ("bonjour madame" or "bonjour monsieur"😉 and smiled and said goodbye. It is expected and I can safely say I have never had any checkout person NOT say these basic but important greetings.

Go to a supermarket in England for instance and 3 times out of 10, the checkout operator will not even make eye contact with you. If they do, they can be grumpy (remember I'm foreign and when I utter "good morning" , it's accented so I'm aware I get this more often than the natives). On the other hand, Sainsbury's supermarkets greet you with a gigantic orange banner that says "Hello" ! ! !

I've got side-tracked.. To go back to the original point, there are cultural differences , a lot of people in Britain have got a different way of doing things that's ingrained in the culture; what I meant when I wrote "I can't say I'm surprised as I've got used to their ways" is that I accept it, I accept the British reserve even if sometimes the lack of manners still drives me up the wall, then I get all stroppy at the supermarket and embarrass myself... 😕
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 15:02
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I usually reply in kind but don't tend to initiate unless it's a player who I have come accross a few times (which happens in the clan leagues a lot) or it's the final of a tournament. For rudeness Yahoo has to win a prize, not only do players ignore you, insults are very common, especially from americans for some strange reason, the other side of this is ...[text shortened]... ricans, as I tend to judge (if that's the right word) people as individuals not collectively
    I'll tend to do the same thing, generally replying, but only initiating with opponents I've already encountered.

I do avoid good luck though. The nearest they can get to that is if I forget not to play after a few drinks.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    06 Oct '06 16:50
    I always pull up the profile of my opponent (if it is a new opponent) and read about them before I make my first move. If possible, I try to target my greeting to something specific about them from their profile. Haven't come across a rude person yet, and have been ignored a vast minority of times.
  4. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 08:29
    I haven't had any trouble with rude players, but I did recently get into trouble when I misrecalled the result of two games with a player and, upon starting new Clan games with him, told him that it was going to be tough because he'd kicked my ass last time. He then enquired icily what I was talking about because he'd lost one of the games quite heavily and the other had been a draw. I think he thought I was being sarcastic (I'm just absent-minded and remembered some good play by him rather than the result), so we spent the rest of the re-match in grim silence.
  5. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 13:54
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    I haven't had any trouble with rude players, but I did recently get into trouble when I misrecalled the result of two games with a player and, upon starting new Clan games with him, told him that it was going to be tough because he'd kicked my ass last time. He then enquired icily what I was talking about because he'd lost one of the games quite heavily and ...[text shortened]... d play by him rather than the result), so we spent the rest of the re-match in grim silence.
    That's funny, in a Meet-the-Parents kind of way. So did you win again? You could have sent some choice messages as you snapped up his pieces and mated him.

"Yow -- you have a bishop left against my two rooks and queen. Here's where you spring into action!"
  6. Joined
    09 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '06 23:07
    Originally posted by FrenchQueen
    I need to know what the etiquette is when you start a game; I always send a message to the opponent to acknowledge them, a brief "Hi and good luck" or the same in the opponent's own language if they're not English speakers.

I get three types of response, in order of frequency:

a) a friendly " good luck to you too" message. 60%
    b) no message 35 ...[text shortened]... opponent is the most basic civil thing to do, so why are so many players so bloody rude?
    I always say hi to you 😉
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '06 07:12
    I have been messaging back and forth with a certain rude player who seems to think that I shouldn't have canceled a game with her before the first three moves were up...I am trying to reason and have patients with her, but what I really want to do is cuss her out because she just won't stop b****ing at me about how she "CREATED the game, so you should only delete the games that YOU created" blah blah blah, and I'm starting to wonder if I should let the "authorities" of this site know that she won't shut up. When should I draw the line with not only her, but me too? I don't want to be kicked out by saying something that I'm not supposed to. Does anyone have any solutions? Or does anyone know what the proper steps to take are (regarding who to tell so they can kick her out or something)?
  8. Berks.
    Moves
    15 Oct '06 08:52
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    I have been messaging back and forth with a certain rude player who seems to think that I shouldn't have canceled a game with her before the first three moves were up...I am trying to reason and have patients with her, but what I really want to do is cuss her out because she just won't stop b****ing at me about how she "CREATED the game, so you should o ...[text shortened]... roper steps to take are (regarding who to tell so they can kick her out or something)?
    If someone is really being abusive, use the send feedback link at the bottom of this page, and/or put them on your ignore list.

I don't know if you sent a message explaining your reasons for deleting either, but if you didn't, it would be polite to explain why you were about to do it. Some people might be a little less angry as a result.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '06 08:541 edit
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    I have been messaging back and forth with a certain rude player who seems to think that I shouldn't have canceled a game with her before the first three moves were up...I am trying to reason and have patients with her, but what I really want to do is cuss her out because she just won't stop b****ing at me about how she "CREATED the game, so you should o roper steps to take are (regarding who to tell so they can kick her out or something)?
    If you don't like her to mess you anymore - put her into your ignore list, then you don't have do deal with her anymore.
  10. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 15:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If you don't like her to mess you anymore - put her into your ignore list, then you don't have do deal with her anymore.
    You could also challenge her a few times, let her get two moves in, and then cancel the game.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 15:54
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    You could also challenge her a few times, let her get two moves in, and then cancel the game.
    Well, that is also equally rude.
    Rudeness is not what we want, do we?
  12. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 17:47
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Well, that is also equally rude.
    Rudeness is not what we want, do we?
    I think there's a difference between inconsiderate rudeness and deliberate snideness.

I detest the former, but sometimes resort to the latter.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '06 18:55
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    I think there's a difference between inconsiderate rudeness and deliberate snideness.

I detest the former, but sometimes resort to the latter.
    No wonder there are wars in the world...
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 06:33
    Thanks for all your help...but to be honest I like what blakbuzzrd suggested. 😉 But I probably won't do it just for the sake of avoiding any contact with annoying people. But next time... 😀
  15. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 00:44
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    I always pull up the profile of my opponent (if it is a new opponent) and read about them before I make my first move. If possible, I try to target my greeting to something specific about them from their profile. Haven't come across a rude person yet, and have been ignored a vast minority of times.
    What a great post! I'll have to keep that in mind. :-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree