Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 27 Nov '06 22:54
    I'm trying to redo an endgame I played with a friend via the set piece option. I keep getting a red message at the bottom of the set piece board that says "[black] pawns must not be in a promotable position", and there is no "start from this position" button that I can press. In the set piece I've set up, there are no pawns immediately promotable, so I don't understand the message. If no pawns can ever be promotable, that would seem to significantly limit -- completely prohibit?-- the possibility of using set piece games. Any suggestions?
  2. 27 Nov '06 23:06
    Originally posted by mmmmisha
    I'm trying to redo an endgame I played with a friend via the set piece option. I keep getting a red message at the bottom of the set piece board that says "[black] pawns must not be in a promotable position", and there is no "start from this position" button that I can press. In the set piece I've set up, there are no pawns immediately promotable, so I do ...[text shortened]... mit -- completely prohibit?-- the possibility of using set piece games. Any suggestions?
    right click on the raw that you want to place the pawn, and choose queen (or any of the pieces that a pawn can promote to)

    you can have as many queens as in normal game..

    the reason that you cannot have a pawn in a promotable position is that its kinda half move for you till the pawn gets the promotion, and hence the other player cannot move till this has happened.... if that makes sense...
  3. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    28 Nov '06 00:55
    Originally posted by mmmmisha
    I'm trying to redo an endgame I played with a friend via the set piece option. I keep getting a red message at the bottom of the set piece board that says "[black] pawns must not be in a promotable position", and there is no "start from this position" button that I can press. In the set piece I've set up, there are no pawns immediately promotable, so I do ...[text shortened]... mit -- completely prohibit?-- the possibility of using set piece games. Any suggestions?
    Please tell us what game number the original game was, and what move number you are trying to set up. White's move # or Black's move # and let us know.

    That way we can help you set the board right.

    You can go to that move in that game and copy out the FEN.

    Keep us posted.

    P-
  4. 28 Nov '06 05:10
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Please tell us what game number the original game was, and what move number you are trying to set up. White's move # or Black's move # and let us know.

    That way we can help you set the board right.

    You can go to that move in that game and copy out the FEN.

    Keep us posted.

    P-
    Happily! The game no is 2606969, and I was trying to get to the position after 52w, with black to move next.

    In trying to set up the position, I basically moved all of the pieces from their starting positions to wherever needed to sacrifice them until I eliminated all the pieces I didn't need, then I moved the remaining ones as necessary to where they needed to be. In doing this, i ignored all move rules (ie, I moved black multiple times, placed bishops on different colored squares, jumped horses across the board, ie, whatever was necessary to delete pieces.)

    Seems like a good wish list item to be able to create a set piece game either by pasting in a specific fen or by going to a specific game history move and starting a set piece game from there (sort of a "can I have that move back" idea.)

    Your help is much appreciated.
  5. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    28 Nov '06 06:15
    Originally posted by mmmmisha
    Happily! The game no is 2606969, and I was trying to get to the position after 52w, with black to move next.

    In trying to set up the position, I basically moved all of the pieces from their starting positions to wherever needed to sacrifice them until I eliminated all the pieces I didn't need, then I moved the remaining ones as necessary to where they n ...[text shortened]... me from there (sort of a "can I have that move back" idea.)

    Your help is much appreciated.
    Get Firefox, Greasemonkey and http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/setpiece.user.js in that order.

    Problem solved.
  6. 28 Nov '06 07:32
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Get Firefox, Greasemonkey and http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/setpiece.user.js in that order.

    Problem solved.
    XNZ: I have no idea what you asked me to do, but I did it and it does indeed work. Thanks!