1. Standard memberkponds
    Backward Pawn
    Memphis
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 16:41
    I'm a newb, and want to subscribe to either one of the two. Right now I'm thinking RHP, but I have a few worries. The goal is to practice to become a better player all around.

RHP Pros:

-Correspondence style fits in a lot better with my lifestyle than ICC does. (On ICC about half the time I get disconnects or my wife/dog screwing me up).

-Correspondence offers deeper analysis which may be good for my growth as a player.

-Most ICC are blitz games anyway and RHP offers blitz too.

-Can do RHP at work!

-Forums are cool.

-A lot more modern than ICC and seems to have a friendly environment.

RHP Cons:

-I worry about cheats (not accusing anyone -- I don't have nearly the sophistication to determine whether an engine is playing or not, but clearly it would be easier to cheat in correspondence).

-Use of opening databases/books might stunt my growth as a player (I could be completely wrong and they might actually help me, who knows?)

-The idea is to prepare myself for OTB play at the club level, would correspondence be an effective tool for this?

-Site is kinda slow for me for some reason (not a big deal really).

So basically what I'm looking for is for someone to refute all my "cons", at least the first three. And any other comparisons between RHP and ICC.
  2. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 18:07
    Originally posted by kponds
    -I worry about cheats (not accusing anyone -- I don't have nearly the sophistication to determine whether an engine is playing or not, but clearly it would be easier to cheat in correspondence).

-Use of opening databases/books might stunt my growth as a player (I could be completely wrong and they might actually help me, who knows?)

-The idea is to prep ...[text shortened]... effective tool for this?

-Site is kinda slow for me for some reason (not a big deal really).
    Cheaters- I doubt you will encounter many cheaters under the 1800 level.

Database- I would think the contrary; improve your play rather than diminish it.

[ Not qualified to answer your question regarding OTB play ]

Slow Site- The site is slow right now to do the archiving error. See the Announcements Forum.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 20:51
    I'm a newb, and want to subscribe to either one of the two. Right now I'm thinking RHP, but I have a few worries. The goal is to practice to become a better player all around.

RHP Pros:

-Correspondence style fits in a lot better with my lifestyle than ICC does. (On ICC about half the time I get disconnects or my wife/dog screwing me up).

-Correspo ...[text shortened]... e all my "cons", at least the first three. And any other comparisons between RHP and ICC.
    First off, you should join that club asap. You don't need to get better to join a club (unless all levels are not welcome)

RHP you can use data and books, this will help you learn opening for use over the board.

Not sure if ICC has any kind of forums, but chances are they wouldn't let you ask a question like this.

Like someone already said, you won't run into many cheats. Losing to one isn't going to ruin anything, it's them who are the losers.

P-
  4. Standard memberkponds
    Backward Pawn
    Memphis
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 21:16
    Well thanks for the help guys.

Truth is, I just have a lot more fun on RHP.

First post with my gold star 🙂
  5. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 21:201 edit
    Well thanks for the help guys.

Truth is, I just have a lot more fun on RHP.

First post with my gold star 🙂
    Welcome aboard. Now go join some tournaments and clans so you can really start to enjoy the site.
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '08 22:14
    Originally posted by Drew L
    Welcome aboard. Now go join some tournaments and clans so you can really start to enjoy the site.
    or the best of both worlds, a clan-tournament! 😀
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 12:50
    Look at the blitz link, it is not rated but it is cool anyway.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '08 15:38
    Smart choice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree