Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    22 Feb '16 03:04
    Ever since the UI update (the one which automatically resizes the screen) I've had speed problems with the site. To the point where I consciously have to wait, sometimes several seconds, before the page load is completed. I have two separate internet connections with totally different download speeds but it's not that, the problem occurs just as much with the very fast connection. None of my other sites is affected, just this one. Is anyone else having the same speed issues? (Firefox, W7 desktop with plenty of unused headroom)
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    22 Feb '16 12:06
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Ever since the UI update (the one which automatically resizes the screen) I've had speed problems with the site. To the point where I consciously have to wait, sometimes several seconds, before the page load is completed. I have two separate internet connections with totally different download speeds but it's not that, the problem occurs just as much with t ...[text shortened]... anyone else having the same speed issues? (Firefox, W7 desktop with plenty of unused headroom)
    I too have noticed that this site has slowed down when updating or changing pages or responding to actions. It isn't consistent.
    As you also noted, other sites seem to be responding at their usual speed but this one varies.
  3. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    25 Feb '16 13:15
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I too have noticed that this site has slowed down when updating or changing pages or responding to actions. It isn't consistent.
    As you also noted, other sites seem to be responding at their usual speed but this one varies.
    I think it's to do with the amount of traffic on the site as it always seems to be slower in early evening g.m.t.
    Is there an easy way to check this?
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    25 Feb '16 22:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    I think it's to do with the amount of traffic on the site as it always seems to be slower in early evening g.m.t.
    Is there an easy way to check this?
    I'm in Australia, and in our mid-afternoon both US and UK are mostly asleep or offline. My problems persist throughout the day, so it isn't that in my case. It's only this site, for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a desktop and some browser other than Firefox, to enable me to pinpoint my problem.
  5. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    26 Feb '16 20:10
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'm in Australia, and in our mid-afternoon both US and UK are mostly asleep or offline. My problems persist throughout the day, so it isn't that in my case. It's only this site, for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a desktop and some browser other than Firefox, to enable me to pinpoint my problem.
    I use a desktop almost exclusively with windows vista and google chrome though it doesn't tell me in programs and features what version of chrome I'm using
  6. Subscriber HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    04 Mar '16 19:17
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I'm in Australia, and in our mid-afternoon both US and UK are mostly asleep or offline. My problems persist throughout the day, so it isn't that in my case. It's only this site, for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a desktop and some browser other than Firefox, to enable me to pinpoint my problem.
    Desktop, northeast U.S., Chrome, Windows 7, no probs w/speed.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    06 Mar '16 22:45
    No known performance related issues right now, so I can't explain why you are having problems with this site specifically.

    If you are noticing this only on certain pages, please follow up with details.
  8. Subscriber Kewpie
    chess dummy
    07 Mar '16 04:51 / 1 edit
    I've just reloaded Firefox in Safe Mode and the problem seems to have gone away. So I've had to work my way through all the add-ons, which include several greasemonkey scripts, to identify the culprit/s. The last one I tried - Disabling the greasemonkey script manager - has fixed the problem, however I'm not too keen on giving up all those lovely scripts that make the site user-friendly for me. So I'll be disabling scripts one by one to see what happens.