1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 20:17
    Originally posted by trev33
    We've been here before. It's not comparable to car insurance, it's comparable to a Chinese takeaway... do you expect to get your chicken fried rice at the old price just because it's your regular Chinese with the newbie noobs paying the new higher price or do you expect the same price for all for the SAME PRODUCT?

There's no high risk customers at a Chinese takeaway or at RHP, you pay the money and you receive the product. Simple as that.
    You are hilarious! If you hadn't left you would still pay $30... but you DID leave.

Had you stayed, I can just imagine you saying "OH RUSS! THE COST OF THE SITE IS NOW $40 but I'm only paying $30! PLEASE ADJUST MY BILL AND ALL BILLS IN THE FUTURE!"

You're just sour because you screwed yourself, nothing more.

P-
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 20:28
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    You are hilarious! If you hadn't left you would still pay $30... but you DID leave.

Had you stayed, I can just imagine you saying "OH RUSS! THE COST OF THE SITE IS NOW $40 but I'm only paying $30! PLEASE ADJUST MY BILL AND ALL BILLS IN THE FUTURE!"

You're just sour because you screwed yourself, nothing more.

P-
    I'd be saying the exact same if i was getting a subscription for free. I don't change what i believe in for $40. Equal product for all - equal price for all.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 22:16
    It's never one price fits all. There's always a discount in it for someone. Maybe for bulk buying, maybe for poverty-stricken pensioners, maybe if you have a union membership or on the vendor's payroll. Whatever the reason, it's the way it is. "Fair and equitable" is a pretty concept but nothing to do with the real world.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 22:54
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    It's never one price fits all. There's always a discount in it for someone. Maybe for bulk buying, maybe for poverty-stricken pensioners, maybe if you have a union membership or on the vendor's payroll. Whatever the reason, it's the way it is. "Fair and equitable" is a pretty concept but nothing to do with the real world.
    The 'real world' as you call it needs changing. Plus the way i see it at the moment the 'real world' isn't looking in too good a shape. But that's a whole other topic.
  5. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Sep '11 23:061 edit
    Give it up trev. It 'aint gonna happen and that's that. If Russ did make it "same for all" then just a month before my $USD14.95 sub ran out, I'd tourney up ( 100 odd games ) let the sub lapse and enjoy some 2-3 years of free full tourney games.

That's why it will never happen and what Phlab's been trying to tell you. If you'd stayed with the plan then you too would be enjoying a "loyalty" level sub.

It's a no brainer but then that's probably why it's all a bit difficult for you to comprehend.

skeets

PS edit ......and this whole thread should probably be moved to General ?
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 00:27
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Give it up trev. It 'aint gonna happen and that's that. If Russ did make it "same for all" then just a month before my $USD14.95 sub ran out, I'd tourney up ( 100 odd games ) let the sub lapse and enjoy some 2-3 years of free full tourney games.

That's why it will never happen and what Phlab's been trying to tell you. If you'd stayed with the plan then yo ...[text shortened]... eets

PS edit ......and this whole thread should probably be moved to General ?
    The mistake you people are making is that you can't see past the fact that i'm really don't talking about myself. If i wanted to be a sub i would, regardless of a $30 or $40 price tag, i just don't play enough chess to justify paying for it. I might sub up for a year and play in the 7/14 league i'm undecided.

"If Russ did make it "same for all" then just a month before my $USD14.95 sub ran out, I'd tourney up ( 100 odd games ) let the sub lapse and enjoy some 2-3 years of free full tourney games."

So you give yourself enough games for 2-3 years, then what... you leave the site or sub up again? Lets say you sub up again, it'll only take 2 years at $40 to give russ a profit against you paying $15 for the same 5 years.

None of you are going to change my mind over this.

But tbh from a business point of view it's not something any of us can comment on without seeing the figures for the site.
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 01:091 edit
    Your math is as addled as your brain, trev.

Say I have tourney'd up 3 years of games just as my sub expires. then after three years, pay my $USD40.00 and get another year's worth of tourney games, and just before that expires tourney up another three years worth.

That's seven years of games for forty dollars whereas at $USD14.95 p.a. equals $USD105.00 !!

I'm sure Russ has already worked this out and if you still cannot grasp this concept then you probably need to go back to school to catch up on the math classes that you obviously skipped.

Jesus wept

skeeter

PS edit ...and if you don't change your mind after reading this then in my opinion, you are as stubborn as you are stupid.
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 01:261 edit
    Lets take worst case senario - three years, (one plus one plus one- just for you trev ), same stategy, for $USD40.00, whereas three years at $USD14.95 equals $USD45.00.

The site still takes a loss.

Whats it to be trev? ...wrong or stubbornly stupid. You choose.

skeets
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 08:14
    You're so short sighted. First of all i doubt the vast majority of people will be petty enough to carry out what you're suggesting, they will either become a non-sub or carry on paying yearly. Secondly even if they did do what you say and had 1 subscription for every 3 years, it might be working out as a loss for them now compared with your $15 annual fee but the price won't be staying at $40 forever, there will come a time when even your petty tactic is making them money.

You would think someone who has been a member of a site for so long would like to see it being as successful as possible and improve as much as possible, considering the site doesn't collapse there will come a time when your $15 per year is worthless, hell they eventually might even be making more from advertisers per active non-sub per year.

As a business model it's impossible for us to predict if a one price fits all will be more or less profitable for the site straight away, not one of us can predict how many of the old subscribers will continue to pay at the new price and how many will leave, impossible. And you'd be an idiot for assuming anything.

Regardless if it turns out to be more profitable for the site, how can you justify paying $15 for something that new subscribers are paying $40 for? The exact same product, like many of you keep saying $40 per year really isn't a lot, if you cared at all about the site you'd happily pay $40 per year.

Pitiful.
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 08:291 edit
    No, you're pitiful and I'll take that as a "wrong", and still stubbornly stupid.

skeets
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 14:48
    I'd be saying the exact same if i was getting a subscription for free. I don't change what i believe in for $40. Equal product for all - equal price for all.
    You should start a business like Russ', but make more money with your fantastic idea of screwing your long-time customers!~
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 17:021 edit
    well not wrong, it does... what i was saying was what i said above. even if you're a 'recurring' subscriber and you pay the full price if your old card expires.
    If you promise not to get your Butt banned, I'll buy your subscription just to stop the whinning over a few dollars.

Check out some other sites, and you'll find 40.00 a year is a Very Good Deal!!!
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 17:23
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If you promise not to get your Butt banned, I'll buy your subscription just to stop the whinning over a few dollars.

I'm not complaining at the price (but you can buy me a sub if you want, i'm not going anywhere 😀), i was complaining about the fact that some people are paying as little as $15 for a product others are paying $40 for. There's rewarding loyalty and then there's shotting yourself in the foot.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 17:48
    I'm not complaining at the price (but you can buy me a sub if you want, i'm not going anywhere 😀), i was complaining about the fact that some people are paying as little as $15 for a product others are paying $40 for. There's rewarding loyalty and then there's shotting yourself in the foot.
    Skeet and I are late comers to this site... there are probably users paying 10 or even 5 bucks a year!~
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Sep '11 17:49
    Originally posted by Very Rusty

REC'D!~

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree