1. Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 22:08
    My opponent has 0 Seconds to move and no timebank left for white. He is still continue playing.
    Black has more than 14 days left in the time bank. How come the gameis still going on?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 22:581 edit
    Your opponent is displaying a vacation flag, which means he can't lose the game by timeout. This is considered a dirty trick in a timebank-only game, but there's no actual rule against its use at present. Eventually he must run out of vacation time (maximum 36 days per year) and in the meantime you must time your own moves to ensure that you don't run out of time yourself.

I personally feel that no-vacation rules should apply to timebank-only tournaments to prevent this kind of abuse of the system.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Nov '13 08:53
    Originally posted by snjortp
    My opponent has 0 Seconds to move and no timebank left for white. He is still continue playing.
    Black has more than 14 days left in the time bank. How come the gameis still going on?
    I am absolutely astonished this is the first time in over 14000 games, that you Encounter this. You are a lucky Person indeed.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Nov '13 10:06
    There haven't been a lot of timebank-only tourneys until recently, it's not such a big problem where there are days-per-move involved.
  5. Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '13 13:02
    Thank you for telling me!
  6. Joined
    07 Jul '12
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 20:231 edit
    The solution to prevent this kind of abuse is to stop all the clocks and don't allow moving during the vacation period. And if time has expired before putting the vacation flag, the opponent is allowed to claim the flag. Russ needs to implement this feature.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 21:57
    I haven't played tournaments for ages, but at one time I thought putting yourself on vacation during a tournament did not count. You were not exempt from being timed out.

At least I think there was such a rule, and it even gave you a warning about it when you signed up for the tournament, something to the effect that "Vacation settings will not be honored in tournament games".
  8. Joined
    07 Jul '12
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 22:08
    That may be true for tournament games. But in normal rated games, it is a problem.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 06:11
    Originally posted by Sebastian Yap
    The solution to prevent this kind of abuse is to stop all the clocks and don't allow moving during the vacation period. And if time has expired before putting the vacation flag, the opponent is allowed to claim the flag. Russ needs to implement this feature.
    Yeah, that's what I want, a feature that stops my opponent from moving. Because I want it to take longer to get a move. 😕
  10. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 16:36
    I have not read further on this matter if information is available, but is there a limit on how many vacations a player can take during a game? Can this be exploited as well?
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 16:55
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    I have not read further on this matter if information is available, but is there a limit on how many vacations a player can take during a game? Can this be exploited as well?
    every subscriber has 36 days of vacation, which can be used as seen fit. So yes there are a lot of ways this can be used which people might see as exploitation...
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 15:47
    seems to me the simplest solution is if a player goes on "vacation", simply prohibit him/her from moving. let the clocks run. the opponent can still move in the meantime and get off the clock. that way the clock only is using up time of the one on vacation, and since they cant move, it will end the abuses and make vacations a legitimate thing.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 16:28
    keep all else the same, the game goes on hold like it already does, but by the vacationing player not being able to move, it would end the abuse we all have seen.
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 22:00
    The abuse is infrequent, but if you stop the vacationing player from moving you slow down everyone's games and inconvenience every opponent. Why throw out the whole matchbox because you have a couple of faulty matches?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree