Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 08 Oct '07 17:29
    The FAQ says: Please be considerate with timeouts – send a reminder if possible.

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I wait before I claim the win?

In fact, it strikes me as odd that I should send reminders to opponents: I would expect them to move in time and if they don't, they lose. It's part of the rules and they could select different time controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
  2. 08 Oct '07 17:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zzyw
    The FAQ says: Please be considerate with timeouts – send a reminder if possible.

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
    I agree.

If RHP want the players to be aware of how close they are to timeouts, it should be a part of the system. Like showing a ticking clock at those games where the thinking time is used up and the time bank is nibbled to, and perhaps a bigger prominent one when it is, say, less then a day from time out. Why should I remind my opponent and warn him, when the system can do it?

My oppnents know that I never remind, that I always take skulls when I can, it says so in my profile. If they don't have strong enough reasons, then I skull them. If they do, I hesitate for a while.
  3. 08 Oct '07 18:25
    I think there's a bit of a disparity between the FAQ and actual practice. Most people seem to feel it's OK to take the skull immediately--and I agree. The only exception would be if the person messaged you in advance and gave some kind of excuse. Even in that case I think it would still be OK to take the skull, but you might want to think twice about it.
  4. 08 Oct '07 18:50
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I think there's a bit of a disparity between the FAQ and actual practice. Most people seem to feel it's OK to take the skull immediately--and I agree. The only exception would be if the person messaged you in advance and gave some kind of excuse. Even in that case I think it would still be OK to take the skull, but you might want to think twice about it.
    I had an opponent once who said he was going to prison for a while and was not sure if they had any internet connection in there. The skull came eventually and I didn't click it. Wasn't I nice?
  5. Standard member Lukerik
    Stick your hands up
    08 Oct '07 19:34
    Originally posted by zzyw

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I ...[text shortened]... controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
    In tournaments, always. If I've directly challenged someone, probably not because I actually want to play them. If they've challenged me, almost certainly. If they're provisionally rated, always because they've probably left the site.
  6. 09 Oct '07 00:32
    I take all clan game timeouts. No regrets.
  7. 09 Oct '07 11:13
    Take it or leave it - it's your choice, no big deal.
  8. Standard member Evil Pawn 666
    Soul Taker
    09 Oct '07 12:52
    Take all skulls. If you can't keep track of things you deserve to lose. Don't infringe on my good nature or time. (no smily face)
  9. 09 Oct '07 12:57
    Thanks for the replies. Since I've already sent my opponent a message, I'll wait another day before I "skull" him and from then on I'll claim time-out "wins" by default.

I don't even consider it winning, it's just getting rid of an inactive game taking up one of my limited slots