1. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:29
    The FAQ says: Please be considerate with timeouts – send a reminder if possible.

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I wait before I claim the win?

In fact, it strikes me as odd that I should send reminders to opponents: I would expect them to move in time and if they don't, they lose. It's part of the rules and they could select different time controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by zzyw
    The FAQ says: Please be considerate with timeouts – send a reminder if possible.

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
    I agree.

If RHP want the players to be aware of how close they are to timeouts, it should be a part of the system. Like showing a ticking clock at those games where the thinking time is used up and the time bank is nibbled to, and perhaps a bigger prominent one when it is, say, less then a day from time out. Why should I remind my opponent and warn him, when the system can do it?

My oppnents know that I never remind, that I always take skulls when I can, it says so in my profile. If they don't have strong enough reasons, then I skull them. If they do, I hesitate for a while.
  3. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 18:25
    I think there's a bit of a disparity between the FAQ and actual practice. Most people seem to feel it's OK to take the skull immediately--and I agree. The only exception would be if the person messaged you in advance and gave some kind of excuse. Even in that case I think it would still be OK to take the skull, but you might want to think twice about it.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 18:50
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I think there's a bit of a disparity between the FAQ and actual practice. Most people seem to feel it's OK to take the skull immediately--and I agree. The only exception would be if the person messaged you in advance and gave some kind of excuse. Even in that case I think it would still be OK to take the skull, but you might want to think twice about it.
    I had an opponent once who said he was going to prison for a while and was not sure if they had any internet connection in there. The skull came eventually and I didn't click it. Wasn't I nice? 😏
  5. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    08 Oct '07 19:34
    Originally posted by zzyw

I find this part of the FAQ a bit vague. What is considered "considerate"? I currently have a game I can claim a win on, and I'm very tempted to do so: It's basically a waste of one of my six available games. I've sent my opponent a message asking him to move, how long should I ...[text shortened]... controls if 1 move/day is too fast. But I don't want to be a jerk either. Any thoughts?
    In tournaments, always. If I've directly challenged someone, probably not because I actually want to play them. If they've challenged me, almost certainly. If they're provisionally rated, always because they've probably left the site.
  6. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 00:32
    I take all clan game timeouts. No regrets.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 11:13
    Take it or leave it - it's your choice, no big deal.
  8. Tionesta
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 12:52
    Take all skulls. If you can't keep track of things you deserve to lose. Don't infringe on my good nature or time. (no smily face)
  9. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '07 12:57
    Thanks for the replies. Since I've already sent my opponent a message, I'll wait another day before I "skull" him and from then on I'll claim time-out "wins" by default.

I don't even consider it winning, it's just getting rid of an inactive game taking up one of my limited slots🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree