Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    15 Nov '06 20:50 / 1 edit
    How does one find out what the tournaments mean? In looking at each tournament - there is a very brief explanation that doesnt explain the name or much detail.

    Example of current open tournament:
    Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic
    "Winners of each group progress"

    So what does "Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic" mean, and how is one supposed to know that?
  2. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    15 Nov '06 21:10
    Originally posted by impatient
    How does one find out what the tournaments mean? In looking at each tournament - there is a very brief explanation that doesnt explain the name or much detail.

    Example of current open tournament:
    Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic
    "Winners of each group progress"

    So what does "Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic" mean, and how is one supposed to know that?
    It's a typo.

    It should read Evan's Gambit Accepted, with the starting position on the left. Google for details of the opening.

    D
  3. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    16 Nov '06 03:50
    Originally posted by impatient
    How does one find out what the tournaments mean? In looking at each tournament - there is a very brief explanation that doesnt explain the name or much detail.

    Example of current open tournament:
    Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic
    "Winners of each group progress"

    So what does "Evan't Gambit Accepted Thematic" mean, and how is one supposed to know that?
    Thematic means there is a theme to the tourney

    In that case they all start from the Evan's Gambit.

    Long Haul = slow time controls

    Banded = tourney is limited to people of a certain rating range

    Unbanded = all ratings are welcome

    Also, watch for the group size. A group of 4 players will add 8 games to your list but... a group of 15 will ad 30 games.

    I joined two 15 grouped tourneys and it was way more games than I could handle.
  4. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    16 Nov '06 05:13
    Originally posted by briancron
    Thematic means there is a theme to the tourney

    In that case they all start from the Evan's Gambit.

    Long Haul = slow time controls

    Banded = tourney is limited to people of a certain rating range

    Unbanded = all ratings are welcome

    Also, watch for the group size. A group of 4 players will add 8 games to your list but... a group of 15 will ad 30 games.

    I joined two 15 grouped tourneys and it was way more games than I could handle.
    Now that was helpful, with nice tips. Thanks. So much more helpful than Ragnorak's standard "Go look it up" or "Read the FAQs". Specifics and details is what makes this a helpful answer. Thanks again.
  5. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    16 Nov '06 15:54
    Originally posted by impatient
    Now that was helpful, with nice tips. Thanks. So much more helpful than Ragnorak's standard "Go look it up" or "Read the FAQs". Specifics and details is what makes this a helpful answer. Thanks again.


    I try to help you, even after the crap you gave me for helping somebody else, and you give me more crap? I shall stick to not helping you from now-on.

    D
  6. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    16 Nov '06 20:18
    Originally posted by Ragnorak


    I try to help you, even after the crap you gave me for helping somebody else, and you give me more crap? I shall stick to not helping you from now-on.

    D
    I will really miss "go look it up on Google". I will be lost without it, and will only hope to get a brainstorm like that myself. Either that, or just use the much more helpful advice of others anyway. So yes please - save your unhelpful and obvious answers and live your fantasies that you are actually helping somebody on other threads.
  7. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    17 Nov '06 18:50
    Originally posted by impatient
    I will really miss "go look it up on Google". I will be lost without it, and will only hope to get a brainstorm like that myself. Either that, or just use the much more helpful advice of others anyway. So yes please - save your unhelpful and obvious answers and live your fantasies that you are actually helping somebody on other threads.
    Did you really expect me to go through the Evan's Gambit Accepted opening for you?

    I thought your confusion was that you didn't know what the Evan't Gambit Accepted was. I had mistakenly presumed that you had indeed read the FAQ, which gives a very detailed explanation of the different types of tournaments.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=tourn

    Its not my fault if you're so lazy that you want people to reinvent the wheel for you, time after time after time.

    Reread your questions..."How does one find out what the tournaments mean? In looking at each tournament - there is a very brief explanation that doesnt explain the name or much detail. "

    Assuming that you had indeed already read the FAQ, I answered your question as to "How does one find out what "Evan't Gambit accepted" mean?

    D
  8. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    17 Nov '06 21:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Did you really expect me to go through the Evan's Gambit Accepted opening for you?

    I thought your confusion was that you didn't know what the [b]Evan't
    Gambit Accepted was. I had mistakenly presumed that you had indeed read the FAQ, which gives a very detailed explanation of the different types of tournaments.
    http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index ed your question as to "How does one find out what "Evan't Gambit accepted" mean?

    D[/b]
    It's so fun to give you crap because you bite so hard on it! Getting under your skin is as easy as....... (fill in reader's favorite answer)!

    Again - see response by briancron for a helpful answer with courteous details. And if you really so frustrated that "people had to re-invent the wheel for me", then why did you bother to respond? And do you really beleive that some how your post of (generally) "go look it up" is really helpful? This is called the HELP forum - so if you dont have something helpful to say (to use of the words of another RHP member directed to you) just go find someone who is willing to listen to you. BTW - you are losing more and more credability with these posts - do you think that my asking for tournament name meanings is "re-inventing the wheel over and over again?" And what is the over and over again part? But please continue - your little hissy fits are the best entertaiment I have all day and are good for many laughs!
  9. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    17 Nov '06 22:25
    Originally posted by impatient
    It's so fun to give you crap because you bite so hard on it! Getting under your skin is as easy as....... (fill in reader's favorite answer)!

    Again - see response by briancron for a helpful answer with courteous details. And if you really so frustrated that "people had to re-invent the wheel for me", then why did you bother to respond? And do you re ...[text shortened]... little hissy fits are the best entertaiment I have all day and are good for many laughs!


    Thread 53108

    D
  10. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    17 Nov '06 22:33
    Originally posted by Ragnorak


    Thread 53108

    D
    Good to see you still cant resist biting!

    Oh BTW the way - you mom said "WOW" again last night!
  11. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    17 Nov '06 22:49
    Originally posted by Ragnorak


    Thread 53108

    D
    The other thing that is so gratifying is how much work and time you spend researching threads, and writing that book length comeback last month (as if anyone is going to take the time to read it - I know I didnt). You clearly spend a significant amount of your time trying to come up with witty comebacks - its been awhile since someone let me get under their skin so easily.
  12. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    17 Nov '06 23:04
    Originally posted by impatient
    The other thing that is so gratifying is how much work and time you spend researching threads, and writing that book length comeback last month (as if anyone is going to take the time to read it - I know I didnt). You clearly spend a significant amount of your time trying to come up with witty comebacks - its been awhile since someone let me get under their skin so easily.
    Dear impatient,

    Get lost.

    Signed,
    Everyone
  13. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    18 Nov '06 04:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Dear impatient,

    Get lost.

    Signed,
    Everyone
    Dear Worst name ever invented,
    If you think I give a _____ about your opinion, think again. If you think you speak for more than a small group of fat losers who have chess has their entire life, think again. You are giving yourself way too much credit.

    No matter how much you would like to fantasize otherwise, there is still a group of people that hold on to the notion that contributions to the HELP forum can be courteous.

    If you are so thickheaded to not realized this yet, even though it has been put in plain english, the fact that I get you to react so much just fuels my entertainment. Pissing you type of poeple off is obviously my intention, but you cant resist showing how much I succed! Even more entertaining is that, knowing that (unless you are really that stupid) you still cant resist replying. How you dont realize you are playing right into what I am trying to accomplish is beyond me, but carry on!

    BTW - your location is certainly the biggest demonstration of a geeky nerd I have ever seen. (OOOHHH NEAT - I GAVE MY LOCATION IN MATH CODE!!! - SO COOL!) Hmmmm... let me guess: pasty white fat math nerd who thinks excercise is spanking the monkey or running to the fridge for Jello during commercials of Star Trek re-runs. I remember losers like you in school; having a small group of only chubby friends who had no social skills whatsoever, and spent their days delighting in the latest math joke.

    Please respond, this is getting fun!

    And the reply the minions cant resist is......
  14. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    18 Nov '06 05:55
    Originally posted by impatient
    Dear Worst name ever invented,
    If you think I give a _____ about your opinion, think again. If you think you speak for more than a small group of fat losers who have chess has their entire life, think again. You are giving yourself way too much credit.

    No matter how much you would like to fantasize otherwise, there is still a group of people that h ...[text shortened]... ke.

    Please respond, this is getting fun!

    And the reply the minions cant resist is......
    Didn't read your post. Doesn't that infuriate you?
  15. Standard member impatient
    Big Cheese
    18 Nov '06 18:16
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Didn't read your post. Doesn't that infuriate you?
    No (although noone believes you) - the fact that you STILL cant resist reponding, is what is so humorous.