1. Joined
    04 Jan '09
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 02:19
    playing in a tournament where settings are

0 days per move, 21 days timeout.

An opponent has run out of time but has put up the vacation flag meaning I can't claim a win. They are still playing and making regular moves in the game. This doesn't seem right. How is vacation setting supposed to work?
  2. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 04:091 edit
    I'm afraid he's perfectly within his rights to do so, the holiday flag can be used for anything at any time, it just protects any current games from time loss whether he's sat at home watching tv or in Honolulu sunning himself with a bevy of beauties by his side..he might well be abusing your game by delaying the inevitable loss but it's only time he's buying..put it this way, he has 36days of flag time this year so the latest he could drag the game out is until late first week of February if using all in one term. He'd be stupid to wast such time on just the one game so maybe there are other games he's 'protecting' also...there could be many reasons behind his actions but they can't continue for long.
  3. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 04:20
    Originally posted by Woltato

An opponent has run out of time but has put up the vacation flag meaning I can't claim a win. They are still playing and making regular moves in the game. This doesn't seem right. How is vacation setting supposed to work?
    Be patient. When his vacation exceeds 36 days less what he has already squandered the win ( skull ) will present itself. All in the rules but bad form nonetheless.

skeets
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 06:59
    Concentrate on moving as soon as you can, to make your 21 days last for much longer. At least then you have the compensation of knowing you've forced him to use up lots of his vacation time. I've just had two people do it in my hardcore tournament too.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jan '11 08:53

My solution to this problem is - "Never enter a tournament with only timebank!"
  6. Bournemouth, UK
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 10:47
    Here here Woltato. My understanding is that the vacation flag is a sensible and fair option but does not apply to Timebank time. In our tournament, get the impression that some people think that the vacation flag stops the timebank depletion.

Anyway, I will be sending a polite reminder note and then a polite fair play ticket. Perhaps it is all an innocent mistake.

Its a shame as these 21day timebank games are excellent - a sort of correspondence quick-play format.

SN
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 14:03
    Originally posted by silentknights
    Here here Woltato. My understanding is that the vacation flag is a sensible and fair option but does not apply to Timebank time. In our tournament, get the impression that some people think that the vacation flag stops the timebank depletion.

Anyway, I will be sending a polite reminder note and then a polite fair play ticket. Perhaps it is all a ...[text shortened]... as these 21day timebank games are excellent - a sort of correspondence quick-play format.

SN
    There is no reason for a fair play ticket in this situation. No rule is broken. We have 36 days a year to burn how we like.

P-
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 18:21

Anyway, I will be sending a polite reminder note and then a polite fair play ticket. Perhaps it is all a ...[text shortened]... as these 21day timebank games are excellent - a sort of correspondence quick-play format.

SN
    Rather than accusing someone of cheating when they are not, send feedback requesting these 0 day games are immune from vacation.

Vacation 'abusers' will avoid them now, or play 'honest'.

That might be worthy of a site idea thread if you are up to it, make these games immune from vacation.

P-
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 18:55
    I have a question for anyone who plays in tournaments frequently.

Didn't vacation status get ignored in a tournament at one time?

When you registered for a tournament there was a statement warning that the vacation flag would not be honored in your tournamnet games and also that a timeout win would be automatically awarded to your opponent if you timed out.

Is that no longer the case?
  10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 19:05

Anyway, I will be sending a polite reminder note and then a polite fair play ticket. Perhaps it is all an innocent mistake.

Its a shame as these 21day timebank games are excellent - a sort of correspondence quick-play format.

SN
    A friend here 'SacTheKing' petitioned site ideas for 0day timeout on an individual game basis and for unrated 0day tournaments. Unrated to ward off the 'playing for time flag merchants', something I'm guessing the OP has concerns with. Unfortunately his suggestion received little in the way of support.
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 21:44
    How is vacation setting supposed to work?
    Exactly the way it is. Taking vacation time prevents you timing them out, but it doesn't prevent them timing you out if you run out of time!

You have 14.4 days and 16.03 days to move in each game.

Even if you move only once per day and lose an average of 12 hours per day in each game you have enough time in hand to last 28 days and 32 days before you run out of time and risk being timed out yourself. This would take you into February 1st or 5th in the games. Your opponent, even using all 36 days vacation at once from 1st January 2011, cannot be on vacation passed the 5th February.

Should they be doing that then come the 1st February you just need to put yourself on vacation from 1st February onwards until each game finishes by timeout/victory. You make each vacation period one day only, that way you can cancel and save any unused vacation time.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 21:46
    Originally posted by mwmiller

When you registered for a tournament there was a statement warning that the vacation flag would not be honored in your tournamnet games and also that a timeout win would be automatically awarded to your opponent if you timed out.

Yes it did happen.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 21:47
    Originally posted by mwmiller

You may be thinking of timeouts vs. vacation. In tournament play if I don't click a skull RHP may do it for me in a day or two.

I think that's how it works, I've never run into a vacation user who bothers me or a tourney game I didn't skull.

P-
  14. Bournemouth, UK
    Moves
    05 Jan '11 10:46
    One last go...
    1. This tournament was labelled clearly as for those who are 'vacation phobic'.
    2. I seem to be being advised to do some clever things with my vacation flag to counteract my opponents actions. He has run out of time! That is not my fault.
    3. I have been very polite is asking my opponent what the position is, with no reply.

No-one can seriously say that using a vacation flag in this way is morally correct, even if no 'rules' are broken. That is why I will be raising a 'fair play' flag.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '11 11:16
    One last go...
    1. This tournament was labelled clearly as for those who are 'vacation phobic'.
    2. I seem to be being advised to do some clever things with my vacation flag to counteract my opponents actions. He has run out of time! That is not my fault.
    3. I have been very polite is asking my opponent what the position is, with no reply.

No-o ...[text shortened]... correct, even if no 'rules' are broken. That is why I will be raising a 'fair play' flag.
    A fair-play ticket has only to do with TOS 3(b), nothing else. It doesn't have anything to do with e(a) nor 3(c), behaviour, or anything else, especially if you follow the rules of RHP.

I don't play any games with a time-bank only, that's my way of showing my dislike in the question in hand. If everybody who doesn't like this problem boycott these kind of tournaments, then it is a signal to the RHP staff, to deal with the problem. It doesn't seem to that people care very much. So obviously the majority think there is nothing wrong with it. So I fold. I take the consequenses of my decision of not participating in timebank-only tournaments. Voilà.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree