1. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:19
    How many vacation days does a paid subscriber get annually?

My settings show 9 days. Do I get more and the site still has not caught up with my subscription [yesterday] or is that all we get?

Thanks in advance!!

Chuck
  2. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 14:57
    You'll get 36 days in each calendar year. The system has given you fewer because you've subscribed late in the year.
  3. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:46
    OK, thanks so what ou are saying is that every January it goes to 36 vacation days.
  4. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 15:57
    I would have thought vacation days would start on the day you subscribed for the maximum.

I subscribed yesterday and I show I have 9 days of vacation. I have a hunting trip coming up in October that will deplete all 9 days.

Does the time bank deplete first vefore the vacation days begin being used?

If not I will be hurting for the rest of the year. Maybe I should have waited to subscribe at the beginning of next year.
  5. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:02
    The timeout and timebank continue to run as normal. Until both the timeout and timebank have run dowjn to zero, the vacation flag has no effect. It is only there to stop you getting timed out. So for me, playing only 21-day games, a 9-day break does not need the vacation flag at all. I would not be at any risk of timeout losses.

I see that you are playing a mixture of 3/7, 3/3 and 1/0 games.

The 3/7 games don't need timeout protection provided you get them all up to date before leaving for your vacation. It will be 10 days before you are at risk of getting timed out.

The 3/3 games will be at risk after 6 days, so you could protect those by putting up the vacation flag for the second half of your vacation. That would give you a day or two in reserve.

Your best bet for the 1/0 games would be to finish them before the vacation, I think, as you don't have enough vacation days to save them.

Remember to keep the flag up for one day AFTER you get back from vacation, so that you have timeout protection while you deal with the 20 games waiting. I hope I haven't made things sound too complicated...
  6. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:10
    Actually you make a lot of sense, thanks.

I am leaving on 9 Oct so I have enough time to sort out my games
    and manage the time.

Thanks!!
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:19
    Originally posted by Taichung
    I would have thought vacation days would start on the day you subscribed for the maximum.

I subscribed yesterday and I show I have 9 days of vacation. I have a hunting trip coming up in October that will deplete all 9 days.

Does the time bank deplete first vefore the vacation days begin being used?

If not I will be hurting for the rest of the year. Maybe I should have waited to subscribe at the beginning of next year.
    36/12=9 days... Wouldn't be very fair for you to have 36 days of vacation with only 3 months left in the year. You were actually cut a break, having subscribed roughly 3 weeks into September.

Here is a standard message I used before the vacation system existed when I was going to be away from the computer:

------------------
    Hi, just wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying our game but have to go away for a little bit. I'll be back full time (insert date) and with any luck you'll not time me out. No problems if you do, that's your call. Just letting you know I'll be back to finish the game if you can wait.

------------------

Unless you're a cut-throat chess player playing villains most users here will wait if you give them an exact time of your return.

P-
  8. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 17:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    36/12=9 days... Wouldn't be very fair for you to have 36 days of vacation with only 3 months left in the year. You were actually cut a break, having subscribed roughly 3 weeks into September.

Here is a standard message I used before the vacation system existed when I was going to be away from the computer:

------------------
    Hi, just wanted to let ...[text shortened]... g villains most users here will wait if you give them an exact time of your return.

P-
    I am not complaining just thought that the vacation days for the year started when you subscribed. As far as it being fair it would be fair to everyone if the yearly allocation ran from the anniversary date of the subscription. That way everyone would get the same amount of time based on their subscription date.

It worked that way in another site and I thought it was the same here.

Now that I know I will manage my games accordingly. 36 days/year is a very generous vacation period for the year.

thanks for everyone's input.

Chuck
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 05:591 edit
    Originally posted by Taichung
    How many vacation days does a paid subscriber get annually?
    Paid? Are some subscribers paid to play here?

I have to pay myself, my subscription. I would be happy to have a subscription for free. But some subscribers are even paid! How do you apply for that?
  10. Joined
    13 Sep '09
    Moves
    22 Sep '09 13:11
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Paid? Are some subscribers paid to play here?

I have to pay myself, my subscription. I would be happy to have a subscription for free. But some subscribers are even paid! How do you apply for that?
    It is a secret!! You have to know the secret handshake. 🙂 y thanks again to everyone for their input. I know how the site works now andI like it.
  11. Joined
    23 Apr '08
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 15:17
    Hi, I have been timed out on 2 games although I had the vacation flag set.
    How comes? Does the vacation flag not protect tournament games maybe?
    Thanks for any advise!
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 15:23
    It certainly looks starnge. But then are you sure that 1st of Novembver was bookes as avaction? If so send feedback.
  13. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 15:25
    Originally posted by sbini
    Hi, I have been timed out on 2 games although I had the vacation flag set.
    How comes? Does the vacation flag not protect tournament games maybe?
    Thanks for any advise!
    The vacation flag protects any game from getting timed out.
    If you are sure that you were timed out while you had the vacation flag up you should send feedback (link at the bottom of every page).
  14. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 15:27
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    It certainly looks starnge. But then are you sure that 1st of Novembver was bookes as avaction? If so send feedback.
    Eh, you were faster;p

Also: This site uses GMT time, like it sais on the vacation settings page:
    "All vacations are booked using GMT which may not match your time zone precisely."
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '09 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    Also: This site uses GMT time, like it sais on the vacation settings page:
    "All vacations are booked using GMT which may not match your time zone precisely."
    Probably zo.

When I take vacation, I usually take another day, perhaps two days after, so I can answer all games in time, and not have to rush.
    Midnight GMT doesn't mean midnight my time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree