1. Joined
    12 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:351 edit
    Hello
    I am a relative novice at chess. While I know the basics and do play some, I may be missing a rule in my game (game # 6880082) and figured I would ask.

I would like to castle to c1 (i.e. queenside/longside or to my right) but cannot do so. To my knowledge, my king has yet to be in check and castling would not put me in check. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks,
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:40
    Originally posted by hobus
    Hello
    I am a relative novice at chess. While I know the basics and do play some, I may be missing a rule in my game (game # 6880082) and figured I would ask.

I would like to castle to c1 (i.e. queenside/longside or to my right) but cannot do so. To my knowledge, my king has yet to be in check and castling would not put me in check. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Seems weird, need to send feedback
    Game 6880082
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:43
    Hello

But you did castling long at move 7, didn't you? You cannot castle twice, you know...
  4. Joined
    12 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:45
    Thanks for your comments. Fabian - I am playing as black. I should have clarified. White did castle, but I have yet to do so.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:55
    Thanks for your comments. Fabian - I am playing as black. I should have clarified. White did castle, but I have yet to do so.
    you're trying to castle kingside?
  6. Joined
    12 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:57
    No, I am trying to castle Queenside I believe it is called (to the right - I am black) which would put his queen in check.

Thanks,
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 15:121 edit
    No, I am trying to castle Queenside I believe it is called (to the right - I am black) which would put his queen in check.

Thanks,
    You can't castle long/queenside as your king would move through check on the d file
  8. Joined
    12 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 15:18
    Thanks all. I think I have it figured out now. I was unaware of that rule and did not quite understand "castling through check." I guess I thought that it meant you could not castle while in check. Thanks for all of your help and patience with my lack of knowledge.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 15:58
    Thanks all. I think I have it figured out now. I was unaware of that rule and did not quite understand "castling through check." I guess I thought that it meant you could not castle while in check. Thanks for all of your help and patience with my lack of knowledge.
    no worries, has happened to all of us at some point. i figured that this was the problem here... gl in your game.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 20:431 edit
    A general rule is this:
    If you try to do a move that doesn't work and it leaves pink squares behind - then it's an illegal move that the system doesn't allow you to do.

Try to find out why the system doesn't allow you to do the move you want:
    If is it a castling, then read about the castling move in detail.
    If it is a en passant move, then read about the e.p. move in detail.
    If you cannot move the king, see if the square is in check.
    If you cannot move another piece, see if your king is in check, or will be, in check. Etc.

If you have doesn't all these checkings and still don't understand why the system allow you to do the move, then use the Help forum. Tell which game it is, and what move you want to do.
    If you cannot get any help from there, then send a feedback to the game moderator. Use the link in the bottom of each page.
    However, this takes unneccesary time. Try to find out the answer yourself first.

(Russ, if this advice is good, then consider move this posting to the FAQ or help file. There are many questions of this kind and much frustration during the time.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree