1. Katrineholm,Sweden
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 19:31
    You can export your own games with e-mail on this site,but how do you then export your PGN-games from your e-mailinbox to Winboard?
  2. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 20:15
    Originally posted by Schackfredrik
    You can export your own games with e-mail on this site,but how do you then export your PGN-games from your e-mailinbox to Winboard?
    right click, copy one games worth of pgn text, and open winboard game viewer and on file menu click on "copy game from clipboard"

This only works for one at a time. I created a plain text file to drop the blitz games into... Perhaps someone else has a better way?

-J
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 20:571 edit
    hilight the game text in your email, then cut and paste it into a new blank text file using a basic text editor such as notepad, or whatever you prefer. Then just save it as a pgn file, and you should be able to run that in the winboard software.

added with edit,

I just did some experimenting and you can skip the email step if you want.

Just open any game you have, whether it is in progress or completed, and in the option box on the right of the board there is an option to get the pgn for the game. If you click on that, you can then just highlight the pgn game text, copy it, and paste it into a blank text file as previously mentioned. I also found out that it isn't necessary to copy all the information that is usually included. All you really need is the moves section. I tried it that way and it worked just fine in winboard.
  4. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    15 Dec '07 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    hilight the game text in your email, then cut and paste it into a new blank text file using a basic text editor such as notepad, or whatever you prefer. Then just save it as a pgn file, and you should be able to run that in the winboard software.

added with edit,

Just ope you really need is the moves section. I tried it that way and it worked just fine in winboard.
    Thanks for that input, I hadn't tried the 'get pgn' yet...
  5. USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 15:59

added with edit,

Just ope ...[text shortened]... you really need is the moves section. I tried it that way and it worked just fine in winboard.
    How do you save games in a text file as being a pgn file?
  6. USA
    Moves

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. USA
    Moves

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 16:34
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Make a .txt file, or paste into your text editor (I use notepad)

Also, you need a PGN viewer like Winboard (I assume you already have this based on the thread title.)

So, once your text file is saved off with the PGN(s) inside it, just change the name to .pgn instead of .txt.

That should make it open with winboard, or whatever program you use to view .pgn files.

P-
  9. USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 16:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Make a .txt file, or paste into your text editor (I use notepad)

Also, you need a PGN viewer like Winboard (I assume you already have this based on the thread title.)

So, once your text file is saved off with the PGN(s) inside it, just change the name to .pgn instead of .txt.

That should make it open with winboard, or whatever program you use to view .pgn files.

P-
    IT WORKS!!! thanks phlab....
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    When you open a new file and paste the game moves, click at the top where it says 'file'. There will be a 'save' option, and also a 'save as' option. Just click the 'save as' one, give the file a name, and use the .pgn extention instead of .txt

At least that's how I do it. I guess you can start by saving it as .txt then just rename it later, and that should work too.

As already mentioned, you will need to open the file with a pgn viewer program, such as winboard, to see the game.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Dec '07 18:43
    After some further experimentation, I see you can create one .pgn file and add several games to that same file. That way you could put all games against a specific opponent into one file, or all games with a specific opening into one file, etc. Or you could keep a games file for each month, or week, or however else you might want to keep them sorted.

It is better to include the standard game information that is included before the moves list. That makes it easier to see which games are included in the file. At least that works with winboard. I don't know about the other pgn viewers out there.
  12. USA
    Moves
    17 Dec '07 03:17
    After some further experimentation, I see you can create one .pgn file and add several games to that same file. That way you could put all games against a specific opponent into one file, or all games with a specific opening into one file, etc. Or you could keep a games file for each month, or week, or however else you might want to keep them sorted.

I ...[text shortened]... file. At least that works with winboard. I don't know about the other pgn viewers out there.
    Any database thingy like ChessDb or Scid works too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree