1. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 01:35
    Some people do not have those funky star wings and some people do. What does it mean?
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 02:42
    Originally posted by kenan
    Some people do not have those funky star wings and some people do. What does it mean?
    The stars without wings are from a bygone age when the site was first starting up, those stars are people who bought life membership, sadly a feature unavailable anymore.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 03:20
    Originally posted by cadwah
    The stars without wings are from a bygone age when the site was first starting up, those stars are people who bought life membership, sadly a feature unavailable anymore.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Anybody has an idea why this is unavailable anymore?
  4. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 03:24
    Thanks for the explanation.

Anybody has an idea why this is unavailable anymore?
    Because it is better business sense to make your customers pay annually rather than just once. Companies tend to make more money that way. 😉
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 12:55
    Because it is better business sense to make your customers pay annually rather than just once. Companies tend to make more money that way. 😉
    They are not really "life time members".

They are more so "First time investors".

They paid up some money back when the site started, they get a star, they have unlimited games.... but they still have advertising. They need the wings to get rid of advertising.

P-
  6. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 20:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    They are not really "life time members".

They are more so "First time investors".

They paid up some money back when the site started, they get a star, they have unlimited games.... but they still have advertising. They need the wings to get rid of advertising.

P-
    So do they pay annually then like other subscribers?

Do not all subscribers have "unlimited games"?

Why do they have advertising since they are subscribers?
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 21:27
    Original pawnstars do not have 'wings' on their stars.

However, many of the original pawnstars do also subscribe, so they have the subscriber wings on their star.

If we do not pay the annual subscription we still get the same benefits as a subscriber but we also get the advertising the same as a non-subscriber.

I hope that clears it up for you.
  8. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    07 Jul '07 02:38
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Original pawnstars do not have 'wings' on their stars.

However, many of the original pawnstars do also subscribe, so they have the subscriber wings on their star.

If we do not pay the annual subscription we still get the same benefits as a subscriber but we also get the advertising the same as a non-subscriber.

I hope that clears it up for you.
    Thank you for your answer.

So you've never paid anything for your star (or did you?) since you do not have the wing. You'll have all your benefits rest of your life (except seeing those annoying advertisements). This is only because you've registered in the starting era of RHP. (before 2003?)

I hope I got this right.

p.s.
    Thanks guys for taking your time to answer my questions. I appreciate it.
  9. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    07 Jul '07 03:51

So you've never paid anything for your star (or did you?) since you do not have the wing. You'll have all your benefits rest of your life (except seeing those annoying advertisements). This is only because you've registered in the starting era of RHP. (before 2003?)

I hope I got this right.

p.s.
    No, they did pay whilst the sit was in its infancy, their investment enabled the site to grow to what you see today. Not only do they deserve the benefits they recieve they also deserve our thanks.
  10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    07 Jul '07 13:251 edit

I hope I got this right.

p.s.
    Not quite. Maybe this will explain it a little better.....

Originally, Russ and Chris were using their own money to keep the site available, but the rapidly increasing number of members made it necessary to frequently upgrade the equipment and it was getting expensive.

All of the original pawn stars made a voluntary contribution to help pay expenses in the early days before the subscription program was introduced. Their support was acknowledged by placing a star by their username.

So, anyone with an original pawnstar did make a voluntary contribution. That's how they got the star. And if they are also currently a subscriber they will have wings on their star the same as any other subscriber. If they do not renew their subscription, their wings fall off but they will still have the star.

In my personal case, I did also subscribe for a few years. However, since I rarely play more than six games at one time, I have let my subscription expire. If I were to find myself regularly playing more than that I would certainly start paying the annual subscription fee again. It's worth it.
  11. USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 22:00
    Who was the first player to join?, like on February 22nd, 2001? (not sure about the date...)
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 11:01
    No, they did pay whilst the sit was in its infancy, their investment enabled the site to grow to what you see today. Not only do they deserve the benefits they recieve they also deserve our thanks.
    Yes, big thanks to all those who threw a few dollars our way early on.

We could not have grown the site back then with out some financial assistance, and the site was far from mature back then (frequent downtime, sometimes painfully slow). Hopefully, most believe their $ has been well invested.

-Russ
  13. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 11:12
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Who was the first player to join?, like on February 22nd, 2001? (not sure about the date...)
    Apart from Russ and the Chess Robot, the first user was:

User 3
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 12:00
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Apart from Russ and the Chess Robot, the first user was:

User 3
    Interesting!

Who is the first user still active? (apart from Russ and the Chess Robot?)
    When did Chris enter the scene?
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 12:03
    User 2 (Chess Robot) was actually a mate of mine who I got to play a single player game to test the interface. I then stole his account at a later date and renamed it to use for the Robot.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree