1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 23:291 edit
    Wouldn't it be sweet if the Conditional Moves interface worked like this:

1) Have only one link called 'record conditional moves'. No more 'deep mode' and 'quick mode'. Just one mode that does it all quickly.
    2) Enter as many sequences of as much depth as desired. Use forward and backward buttons to add more variations. All moves are checked for legality to avoid wasting time.
    3) As you enter moves and variations, there is a tree display of chess notation that shows the moves you have entered so far. [This is updated via JavaScript and NOT transmission to and from the RHP server! Much faster this way.] This provides a good overview of what you have entered. You can also use it to edit or add to variations simply by clicking on the desired move, which sends you immediately to the position after that move.
    4) Once you click 'done recording', all the conditonal moves are transferred to the RHP server - in one fell swoop! No more waiting for pages to load after every move!
    5) You can edit the conditional tree simply by clicking on the notation at the appropriate point, and either delete or modify the move.
    6) At no point in the process are there tons of diagrams showing the 'before' and 'after' position for each conditional move. That's too cluttered and very confusing. Instead, there is only ONE diagram for the entire interface [and it is ALWAYS displayed to the right of the main board; no pop-ups!], and it updates the position depending on where you click in the list of conditional moves [which are listed in standard chess notation].
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 16:25
    yes
  3. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 22:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    ...All moves are checked for legality...
    Isn't checking moves for legality equivalent to getting external assistance? I believe the first incarnation of conditional moves had move checking removed for precisely that reason.

Otherwise I agree, the conditional moves feature at the moment is a bit non-intuitive. Having an interface more like the analysis board would be better.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 03:03
    Originally posted by orangutan
    Isn't checking moves for legality equivalent to getting external assistance? I believe the first incarnation of conditional moves had move checking removed for precisely that reason.

Otherwise I agree, the conditional moves feature at the moment is a bit non-intuitive. Having an interface more like the analysis board would be better.
    The site already checks for legality of moves before letting you submit a move, and it is legal to paste a PGN into WinBoard [with engines off!] for analysis. WinBoard checks legality.

So there is a strong precedent that this sort of assistance should be legal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree