1. e4
    Moves
    29 Apr '12 23:43
    Today Veselin Topalov gave a 20 board simul at the Edinburgh Chess Club.
    Played 20. W.15 D 4 L1.
    He faced some pretty tough opponents including IM Andrew Greet who got the win.

I could not play but managed to have a real good chat with him after the event.
    He signed the Club visitors book and was surprised to see all the famous names
    also in the book Capa, Alekhine, Karpov....

He said he did not know of any other club that had a visitors book.
    He also asked loads of questions about the club and took a serious interest
    in it's history. A genuine good lad.

Have a picture which should appear on the next blog.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 00:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Played 20. W.15 D 4 L1.

also in the b ...[text shortened]... t

Thanks for posting this! First hand accounts of the greats really add depth to the two-dimensional representations we get in the regular press.

The fact that he made a serious effort to learn about the club, and had an appreciation of its history, tells us much about him that we would otherwise never know.

I have a very different opinion of him just from reading this, and I feel better for it.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 01:06
    Played 20. W.15 D 4 L1.

also in the b ...[text shortened]... t

Its great to hear Toppy is a nice gent. I've met a few GMs that were dicks with ears.
  4. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 04:28
    Wow! So great :-)
  5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 08:08
    I played Topalov in the simul and lost. Like GP said, he was a very nice guy. After most of his wins, he would briefly tell his opponents his thoughts and where he thought they had gone wrong.

The last game to finish had a level position with rook and 3 pawns each. Topalov's opponent surprisingly stood up and resigned but Topalov asked him why he was resigning and instead suggested a draw! Only later was it discovered that the opponent was feeling quite ill and couldn't continue playing.

Later, Topalov signed books, etc. and as GP mentioned, spoke to people about Edinburgh chess club (the 2nd oldest in the world - correct GP?). At a meal afterwards, Topalov spoke to me about our game without me pestering him to do so. He liked speaking about a lot of the games, including complementing a 10 yr old junior who had lost but showed good understanding of the Benko Gambit.

6. e4
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 11:291 edit
    Hi V.

I was hoping you never posted the game it could have blog material.
    Never Mind.

The Edinburgh Club was forned on the 4th Nov 1822 but the Zurich Chess
    Club was created a few years earlier.

Most GM's....No, ALL GM's I know are really OK and are willing to discuss chess
    with anyone.

Most people only see them at tournaments, you cannot talk to them
    during a game and after a game they will still be a bit shattered, especially
    if they lost. So you may get the impression they are aloof or ignorant.

Toe Curling Moment

The Scottish Chess Rep gave Topalov a copy of Rampant Chess.
    A nod of approvement from Topalov when he discovered I was one of the authors.

Sign it? Yes of course, so what did I write?

"Well Done"
    G.Chandler

What a total dick head I am.
    I met an ex-world chess champion, he asks me to sign my book
    and all I can up on the spur of the moment with is 'Well Done'.
    What a complete tosser I am sometimes.....(most times.) 😉
  7. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 12:56
    Some info here...and a surprisingly accurate prediction;

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/topalov-visits-edinburgh.html
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 17:14
    It is interesting that Topalov wanted it signed, considering how many autographs he has probably had to sign over the years.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 17:33
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It is interesting that Topalov wanted it signed, considering how many autographs he has probably had to sign over the years.
    he's gonna sell it for BIG BUCKS on ebay!
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Apr '12 21:37
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I played Topalov in the simul and lost. Like GP said, he was a very nice guy. After most of his wins, he would briefly tell his opponents his thoughts and where he thought they had gone wrong.

The last game to finish had a level position with rook and 3 pawns each. Topalov's opponent surprisingly stood up and resigned but Topalov asked him why he was ...[text shortened]... d6 44. Be4 Nf7 45. h4 Ne5 46. Bd5 Ng4 47. Bf3 Ne5 48. Be4 1-0
    [/pgn]
    What an excellent game. I would be very proud to have played such a high quality game against a World Champion at any point in his career.

It is worth playing to the very last move just to see his technique in action. Good show, and thanks for taking the time to share!
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    01 May '12 16:55
    Did he enjoy your restrooms? 🙂
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 May '12 23:39
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Did he enjoy your restrooms? 🙂
    Everyone does! We get 100% of the gate every day, and more when you count repeat visits. No fastpass needed, and every line is a single riders line!
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 May '12 12:06
    I met an ex-world chess champion, he asks me to sign my book
    and all I can up on the spur of the moment with is 'Well Done'.
    What a complete tosser I am sometimes.....(most times.) 😉
    Remember the old adage, it's ok to be spontaneous, as long as you plan for it.

The question is, what would you write if you were asked by a GM to sign a copy of your book today?
  14. Jerusalem
    Moves
    04 May '12 08:35
    Played 20. W.15 D 4 L1.
    He faced some pretty tough opponents including IM Andrew Greet who got the win.... Have a picture which should appear on the next blog.
    There is a nice article including pictures here http://chess-news.ru/node/7247
    I saw the fifth picture and asked myself: " Is that GP there?"
  15. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    04 May '12 09:32

"Well Done"
    G.Chandler

Well maybe he will take the less dickish interpretation of the inscription and assume you're stating that your book is a well done work, as opposed to the more pessimistic one that you're having a jolly that he's in the middle of the biggest slump he's had for the past 10 years and just lost to an IM.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree