1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:2116 edits
    The new site update will be deployed on Tuesday, April the 30th. A short outage will take place at 04:00 GMT - a very quiet period on the site - during the update.

If you are using Microsoft IE6 or IE7 (or a version of another web browser that is over 2 revisions old) it is essential that you now upgrade to a more recent version to avoid issues once the update takes place.

Find out which browser you are using here

http://www.whatbrowser.org/

Windows Users

If it says

IE 10
    IE 9
    or
    IE 8

Then you are all set. But Windows 7 and Vista users should upgrade to IE9 if on IE8 - your experience on the site will be improved.

If it says..

IE 7 (released October 2006.)
    IE 6 (released August 27, 2001)

Then you will need to upgrade

If you are using Windows, and insist on using Internet Explorer still...

Windows XP IE 8 is your only choice. Do not use site "zoom" if using IE 8. Set to 100% only.

Windows Vista IE 9 is your best choice.

Windows 7 IE 10 is your best choice, but if you are using IE 9, this is not essential.

Windows 8 users need not do anything. You can touch and drag pieces on the board if you have a touch screen connected.

Apple Max Users (OSX)

Update your browser of choice. Recent versions of Safari, Chrome and Firefox should all work fine.

iPad

The new site is better suited to tablets and has drag and drop support.

Android

On slower devices (phones, cheaper tablets) it is STRONGLY recommended you dump the stock browser and adopt Google Chrome. In our test, Chrome performed significantly better than the stock browser.

Details here
  2. iran
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:36
  3. Standard memberyavash
    lovin the sea breeze
    Up North!
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:37
    for us technophobes who know nothing about our computers, do you know a way that we can find out what our browers is, also is there a cost involved in our upgrade?
  4. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:40
    i am confused
    Peta Pan
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:433 edits
    Find out which browser you are using here

http://www.whatbrowser.org/

edit : This content will be added to the lead post and expanded.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:441 edit
    If you were using Internet Explorer (the browser that comes free with Windows) you'd have received several warning messages by now. The name of your browser is displayed right at the top of the screen if you're using a Windows computer.

Only the non-working Australians will grumble about the timing (2pm our time) but there aren't many of us, so you've done the best you could.
  7. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:46
    To find your browser version, open your browser & click on 'Help' in the menu bar. Then click on 'About Firefox' (in my case) or 'About Whatever' in yours.

All browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome etc) are freeware - that is, free. A quick 'google' will point you to the downloads
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 08:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Subscriberdaniv
    Daniel
    Bucharest
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 09:08
    What is new in terms of functionalities, beside performance and browser support?
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 09:12
    Originally posted by daniv
    What is new in terms of functionalities, beside performance and browser support?
    Thread 152540
  11. Joined
    14 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 09:54
    Sorry I will not uodate. I think this Microsoft race towards newer versions, with limited benefit for us, is insane.
    I may try to switch to firefox, and if it does not work I ll give uo and migrate to another chess site.
    But YOU should be able to have a stable b=cersion that works with omder IE, even if all the "benefits" are available only to the newer versions of IE

Bernard
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 10:151 edit
    Originally posted by siretb
    Sorry I will not uodate. I think this Microsoft race towards newer versions, with limited benefit for us, is insane.
    I may try to switch to firefox, and if it does not work I ll give uo and migrate to another chess site.
    But YOU should be able to have a stable b=cersion that works with omder IE, even if all the "benefits" are available only to the newer versions of IE

Bernard
    A genuine question, for what reason would you not want to upgrade your web browser?

Most content providers (including Microsoft themselves!) are pushing people towards standards compliant browsers (This is a good thing. Support for legacy versions of IE have been holding back progress on the net for too long.

The benefits of such a move might not be obvious now, but for the future they are huge.

Firefox will work just fine, so I strongly recommend you try that before walking away.
  13. Hell
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 10:261 edit
    Originally posted by siretb

Bernard
    Supposedly older versions of browsers can be vulnerable to the black hats - hackers, virus writers, etc.... Hope you do move to Firefox or Chrome but don't let whatever software you use get too out of date.
    Not to mention the close to impossible task of making software work across all the platforms, different browsers, and different releases of browsers.
    Ahh Russ beat me to it ....
  14. Manchester, UK
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 11:311 edit
    Worth pointing out that Chrome might not be available, even on some fairly recent versions of Android. I'm stuck with 2.3.5 on a Samsung SII that's only 18 months old, but I can't upgrade to Android 4 or install Chrome either.

Anyhow, Opera Mobile might be a viable alternative?
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '10
    Moves
    25 Apr '13 11:41
    I do not know how to upgrade. I tried it once and made a real mess. I need to upgrade to windows 9.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree