1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 16:242 edits
    As part of a major data centre reshuffle at our hosts, we are moving approx. 1k miles west to Dallas.

To minimise future outages, we are giving our hardware a good bump up in spec at the same time.

This should resolve a lot of recent performance problems, which you are probably relieved to hear about if you are a frequent visitor within busy periods.

More details to follow soon, but we are anticipating at least a 24 hour outage with *no access* to RHP.

We will be undertaking the work at the earliest opportunity, so although a scheduled outage, there may only be a week (or less) notice prior to the event.

We apologise in advance for the disruption this will cause, the first major migration of this nature since 2008.

We will compensate timebanks and suspend timeouts of course.

More details to follow over next couple of weeks. A broadcast private message and email will go out to everyone once we have concrete details.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 17:52
    thank you for alerting us 🙂
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 18:18
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    thank you for alerting us 🙂
    Ditto.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 23:21
    Please, Russ, keep us updated via the RHP twitter feed, when it gets close to the scheduled "back online at" time. We know these things can overshoot, and it's nice to know how much longer we'll be waiting.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 23:471 edit
    Twitter has real value during outages like this, so yes, we will be using it for realtime updates when the time comes.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 21:12
    Originally posted by Russ
    Twitter has real value during outages like this, so yes, we will be using it for realtime updates when the time comes.
    I'm a neanderthal. I don't subscribe to twitter.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 23:41
    Neither do I, you don't need to subscribe to read public twitter stuff.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 11:36
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Neither do I, you don't need to subscribe to read public twitter stuff.
    how do you follow the rhp twitter? When I search for rhp I get a real estate Company when I search for Ped Hot Pawn I get mostly old tweets.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 11:47
    https://twitter.com/redhotpawn

Just bookmark that twitter link, and check it if RHP is unavailable to you for any reason.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '13 12:46
    Thank you. That is potentially very helpful.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 17:35
    We have our new hardware. No details on the outage right now, but I would anticipate it happening in 2 weeks time approx.
  12. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 19:15
    This ought to be announced on every page in rhp and all the associated sites. I read the site announcements once a month or so and I just happened to stumble onto this thread. And I never use the front page.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 19:41
    Originally posted by byedidia
    This ought to be announced on every page in rhp and all the associated sites. I read the site announcements once a month or so and I just happened to stumble onto this thread. And I never use the front page.
    Once we have concrete information, we will broadcast this information in a number of ways.
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Aug '13 10:32
    There is still no further news regarding dates. We have our new hardware online and waiting, but we are doing some major maintenance right now to capitalise on the outage.
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Aug '13 12:471 edit
    We are holding back on the migration to our new hardware after committing to updating RHP to remove dependencies on deprecated software that had reached its end of life.

This delay, as frustrating as it is for us, will avoid another outage in the future. We will require a short beta test period too (<1 week)...so again, no solid date for the outage is available just yet....nearly there though!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree